[microsound-announce] The end of Soundtransit.nl

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sat Dec 4 18:03:57 EST 2010

After 5 years, the end of an era has come. On the last day of 2010, the
Soundtransit.nl site will officially close.

SoundTransit has been a collaborative, online community dedicated to
field recording and phonography. In the “Book” section of the site, you
could plan a sonic journey through various locations recorded around the
world. In the “Search” section, you could search the database for
specific sounds by member artists from many different places. If you are
a phonographer, you could also contribute your recordings for others to
enjoy.

The Waag Society in Amsterdam, who physically hosts the Soundtransit
server, has more than quadrupled the rent in the past year. Relocating
to a cheap shared commercial host is simply not possible based on the
unique technical needs of the site, so we are forced to shut the project
down. The archived field recordings will hopefully be relocated through
the kind support of Soundcloud.com, however the ability to make and send
transits will be lost.

I would personally like to thank each and every one of the contributors
and users for their support, interest and enthusiasm over the last
years, and I wish them all the best of luck with their future projects.

Derek Holzer
Soundtransit.nl
--
::: derek holzer ::: http://macumbista.net :::