[Microsound-announce] Linux Audio Conference #6 (LAC2008): Call for Papers, Music, etc.

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Oct 1 10:08:18 EDT 2007

Dear all,

we are happy to announce the call for papers, music and installations
for the 6th International Linux Audio Conference (LAC2008).  LAC2008
will take place in Cologne (Germany) Feb 28th to March 2nd 2008.

The Academy of Media Arts, Cologne, is proud to host the 2008 issue of
this event, where once a year programmers and artists, musicians,
composers and practioneers gather to discuss and explore new and
important developments in making music and sounds with Linux and Open
Source software.

The Linux Audio Conference is both a meeting of developers writing
audio software for Linux as it is a music festival, where artists from
all over the world show how free software can create fresh and
exciting new sounds.

Find the various calls for papers, music and installations attached to
this mail.  Further informations and an overview over all calls can be
found at

http://lac.linuxaudio.org

As mentioned in the calls in detail, the deadline for both paper and
music submissions is December 1st 2007, while the deadline for
installations is already October 19th 2007.

We are looking forward to many interesting submissions for the 6th
International Linux Audio Conference 2008 and we hope to see you in
Cologne 2008!

Please feel free to forward this e-mail to anybody who might be
interested.

On behalf of the LAC2008 organisation team,
--
Frank Barknecht and Martin Rumori
-------------- next part --------------

Call for Installation Proposals
===============================
http://lac.linuxaudio.org/download/lac2008_callforinstallations.txt

The conference will include an exhibition of sound art or mixed media
art with a substantial sound portion.  This exhibition will consist of
works by students of the Academy of Media Arts (KHM) Cologne and
artists from outside the KHM.  We are looking for installation
projects with a substantial sound portion which have been entirely or
mostly produced under Linux and/or with open source software for
inclusion in the abovementioned exhibition.

Installation proposals may be designed for a specific presentation
space and/or reflect certain aspects of the exhibition venue.  In
order to give some impressions of the venue, photos of the different
spaces available for the exhibition along with some notes are provided
for download at

http://lac.linuxaudio.org/download/lac2008_exhibition_info.tar.gz

Proposals for entirely self-contained and non-site-specific projects
are also welcome.  The submission of proposals for previously
unrealised installations is encouraged, though installations which
already have been shown may also get selected.

The artistic and technical realisation of the selected proposals is
completely up to the artists.  Basic technical support for the
exhibition (electricity, standard network access, limited basic
assistance) is provided by the conference organisers.

Out of all submitted proposals, two projects will be selected for
funded realisation by a jury.  To each of the two selected projects, a
scholarship of EUR 2.000,00 will be granted.  This fee should cover
the entire realisation of the project, material expenses, travel,
accomodation and all further expenses in conjunction with the
realisation of the project.  The selected artists are invited to use
the school's facilities (e.g. laboratories, studios) free of charge
for realising the work.  In case a selected proposal has been
submitted by more than one artist, one person has to be elected by the
team for being responsible for the project, signing the contract and
receiving the money due to legal issues.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to legal issues, the scholarships for the projects
can only be given to non-germans, i.e. to anybody whose nationality is
NOT german.

Further projects might be invited for inclusion in the exhibition but
whithout granting any funding from the conference.

For submission, please use the form provided with the photo material.
Submission is via e-mail to:

lac at linuxaudio.org

Deadline: Friday, October 19, 2007, 24:00:00 CEST (+2)

THIS IS EQUAL TO (all winter times from now on):
October 20, 2007, 08:00:00 AEST (+10)
October 20, 2007, 07:00:00 JST (+9)
October 20, 2007, 01:00:00 MSK (+3)
October 20, 2007, 00:00:00 EET (+2)
October 19, 2007, 23:00:00 CET (+1)
October 19, 2007, 22:00:00 UTC (GMT, 0)
October 19, 2007, 18:00:00 AST (-4)
October 19, 2007, 17:00:00 EST (-5)
October 19, 2007, 16:00:00 CST (-6)
October 19, 2007, 15:00:00 MST (-7)
October 19, 2007, 14:00:00 PST (-8)

This is a HARD deadline which will NOT be extended under any
circumstances. You have been warned.
-------------- next part --------------
Linux Audio Conference 2008 Cologne, Germany
28.02.-02.03.2008

Call for Music
==============
http://lac.linuxaudio.org/download/lac2008_callformusic.txt

The conference will include several concerts. We are looking for music
that has been produced completely or mostly under Linux and/or with
open source software from every genre: compositions, Electronica,
Chill-Out, Ambient, etc.

If you want to participate, either send your composition(s) to this
address:

LAC2008 - Call for Music
Kunsthochschule f?r Medien
Martin Rumori
Peter-Welter-Platz 2
D-50676 K?ln
Germany

or send your submission via email to: lac at linuxaudio.org

Please do not attach any media files to email submissions, only
provide a URL to where the piece can be downloaded.

Make use of one of the following media formats:

  * Media: Audio-CD, DVD, DVD-R, CD-R, Website download
  * File formats: aiff, wav, flac, ogg, mp3
  * Samplerate: 44.1 or 48 kHz
  * Resolution: 16 or 24 bit
  * Number of channels: 1 to 8 channels
  * Channel format: multi-channel interleaved, multi-mono

Include the following items with your submission (in English):

  * A filled-out and signed printout of the form available here:

http://lac.linuxaudio.org/download/lac2008_musicagreement.pdf

The form can be filled out with a computer and printed out afterwards
for signing.

For the printed program and to be published online and on the
conference CD, in continuous text (no table or list please):

  * short commentary on the composition(s) (each ca. 150 words)
  * short Curriculum Vitae (ca. 100 words)

Deadline for submissions is 01 Dec 2007

A jury will select the compositions that will be performed/played.

Besides artistic criteria and technical reasons, these criteria apply
for the selection:

Tape pieces or pieces which are performed by the composers themselves
will generally have more chances to get included.  If we get more
pieces than we can include in the program, composers who are attending
the conference are preferred.

Terms and conditions for participation can be found in the form
mentioned above. This form includes among other things:

I will receive no fees whether my composition is played or not. GEMA
fees (in case of performance) will be paid by the organizer.  The
material I send to the LAC organisation team will not be returned.

Important Dates

01 Dec 2007: Music submission deadline
28 Feb - 2 Mar 2008: Linux Audio Conference in Cologne