[Microsound-announce] edges

Mike Hallenbeck junior at juniorbirdman.com
Thu Jul 19 16:50:10 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

Wandering Ear is proud to present "Edges: An Audio Portrait" by Lance Olsen:

http://wanderingear.com/we007.html

I first heard this piece in Chicago when Olsen presented it as part of the
Geo Phono Box exhibition at Around the Coyote Gallery. Thanks to Lance for
sharing it with us, and we're proud to make it available online.

Olsen describes the piece thusly:

"The raw tracks for this current work were gathered over a few nights
around the Nanaimo Harbour, Vancouver Island, British Columbia. I was
interested in the sounds that were coming in toward the harbour from the
water. The history of the harbour also interested me-- are the sounds from
that magnificent wooden yacht that passed by in 1922 still here? Is the
party still going on? What’s going on in the Coast Guard ship? What is
that motor? Wow! That’s quite a storm.

"With minimum editing and interference I have tried to present an aural
experience of the harbour both then and now. The work is designed for
careful listening through headphones and is deliberately low key."

Enjoy!

Based in Minneapolis, Wandering Ear is a net label dedicated to sharing
audio related to field recording from around the world.

If you want off this list, just let me know...

Thanks,
Mike Hallenbeck
http://wanderingear.com