[Microsound-announce] [playlist] framework - 10.03.06

. m u r m e r . murmer at talk21.com
Thu Mar 16 17:10:38 EST 2006

framework broadcasts live fridays on resonance104.4fm in london (uk) or worldwide on http://www.resonancefm.com from 8-9pm gmt, and is repeated sundays from 7-8am gmt

http://www.resonancefm.com/framework

next live broadcast:    17.03.06
~ time zone converter: http://www.thesaturnv.com/converter.html ~

RESONANCE FM'S PROGRAMMING IS PRODUCED ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS; PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE BY MAKING A DONATION.  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP KEEP RESONANCE ON THE AIR: HTTP://WWW.RESONANCEFM.COM.  THANK YOU!

framework - phonography/field recording; contextual and decontextualized sound activity
presented by patrick mcginley

this edition was held together with the second cd compilation of themed untreated field recordings we've received from the small new zealand claudia label, this one called witching hour and themed on nighttime recordings (we heard one track from this by felicity ford a few weeks ago).  there are some incredibly beautiful recordings in here, from all over the world, from scandinavian midnight suns to west african crickets to pakistani muezzins.  nice stuff.

we also heard another untreated recording by malaysian sound artist yeoh yin pin, composition on ground fault by phroq, extracts from a1996 radio mix by dutch digital artist cym, and a number of short tracks by a berlin-based artist we met on a recent trip to germany, sinebag.

we finished off this edition with a recording i've been meaning to play since we began broadcasting in 2002, and which was recently brought back to my attention by a mention on the phonography (http://www.phonography.org) mailing list - i've forgotten who is was who made this post, but thank you!  i first came across this recording in my university library in 1991, as part of a 4 cd compilation accompanying an ethnomusicology textbook entitled worlds of music: an introduction to the music of the world's peoples.  the recording, made by american ethnomusicologist james koetting in 1975, is absolutely mind-boggling: in a post office at the university of ghana countless workers are manually cancelling stamps, presumably for hours on end.  to pass the time they have developed an inherent music in their actions; they bring their stamps down onto the envelopes at hand at incomprehensibly complicated intervals to create an incredible and ever-shifting syncopation, all the while whistling, in multipart harmony, parts to an old ghanaian hymn...  if you can't track this book down, i believe this recording may be available online somewhere, if you do a bit of hunting - it's well worth it!

again, we are always looking for material for the show, whether raw field recordings, field recording based composition or introduction submissions.  send material, released or not, on any format, to the address below.   we are also hoping to have live performances as often as possible, so if you are in or passing through london please get in touch!

framework
31 nevill road
london n16 8sl
uk

framework at talk21.com

10.03.06

mystified  /  framework intro
thomas park recorded this intro for us on the busy corner of his apartment building
www.mystifiedmusic.com

p. westbourne  /  dawn chorus  /  witching hour  /  claudia
late summer night midnight sun with birds and hums in bergen, norway
margot at brickbay.co.nz, http://www.cmr.co.nz

cym  /  extract  /  triple x radio 100 festival july 1996   /  -
live mix of records and found sounds made for dutch radio festival
http://cym.net

yeoh yin pin  /  waktu subah 212  /  -  /  sudut
mp3 release of an untreated recording from the artist's bedroom window during a call to prayer
http://www.yat.ch/emacm/sudut

lau nau  /  keskallä yötä  /  witching hour  /  claudia
acoustic instrument and object improvisation recorded at midnight in an orchard in finland
http://www.haamu.com/launau, http://www.cmr.co.nz

christophe rault  /  blanc comme un cacheton  /  -  /  arteradio
mp3 release of sounds of the slopes, snowy silences and mechanical lifts
http://www.arteradio.com/son.html?21995

phroq  /  psychotest, last attempt  /  collapse  /  ground fault
elemental crackles, rumbles and whistles - fire, water collide
http://www.phroq.com, http://www.groundfault.net

un ciego  /  korogi gate  /  witching hour  /  claudia
minimal nightscape recorded in west africa, korogi is japanese for cricket...
slowchimes at gmail.com, http://www.cmr.co.nz

sinebag  /  garten am abend
                petit crr. #7
                deux avions
                pergola paul singerstraße
                près de la lisière .2b  /  près de la lisière  /  ahornfelder
several short continuous tracks of acoustic guitar and field recording calmness
http://www.sinebag.de, http://www.ahornfelder.de

paintings of windows  /  gilgit  /  witching hour  /  claudia
4am muezzin and a visiting bat echo around a concrete hotel room in gilgit, pakistan
http://www.pseudoarcana.com, http://www.cmr.co.nz

cym  /  extract  /  triple x radio 100 festival july 1996   /  -
another sampling of construction, crackling and classical music
http://cym.net

phroq  /  attempt #3  /  collapse  /  ground fault
gasp, a catch of breath, a smack of lips, always on the verge of saying...
http://www.phroq.com, http://www.groundfault.net

tim coster  /  drop time  /  witching hour  /  claudia
sounds recorded via large glass jars at the tail end of a late night storm, auckland, new zealand
intergalactim at gmail.com, http://www.cmr.co.nz

sinebag  /  collection d'électroniques vétustees
                stromgenerator  august bebel straße
                ajouter nouveau électroniques  /  près de la lisière  /  ahornfelder
more continuous tracks, this time starting with birds and beeps, arriving at strings
http://www.sinebag.de, http://www.ahornfelder.de

james koetting  /  postal workers cancelling stamps at the university of ghana post office  /   worlds of music  /  wadsworth publishing
incredible field recording of - well - of exactly what it says...
http://www.ethnomusic.ucla.edu/archive/biokoetting.htm, http://thomsonedu.com

framework intro submissions:

1)    take yourself and an audio recording device to a location of your choice
2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
3)    read the following text:

welcome to framework.

framework is a show consecrated to field recording, and it's use in composition.
field recording, phonography, the art of sound-hunting; open your ears and listen!

4)    continue your recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after you've finish speaking
5)    send the recording on any format to the address above, or as an mp3 via email

thanks!