[Microsound-announce] TEXTURES_03 - Jan28, Montreal

scant intone kh4nfuc1us at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:56:07 EST 2006

My apologies for cross-posting this, but hopefully it will be of interest to
some of you.

Below are the details for the next edition of our Textures series. This
month we'll have the pleasure of two Montreal debuts! First up will be the
ambient stylings of Clonal Machina, who has recently relocated from San
Francisco. The second performance of the evening will be the first live
collaboration between I8U and Tomas Phillips, in anticipation of their
upcoming release Anther on Petite Sono.

Samedi, 28 Janvier 2006 / Saturday, January 28 2006

TEXTURES_03: I8U / Tomas Phillips + Clonal Machina
La Salle D'Attente (Pharmacie Esperanza), 5490 St-Laurent
21h / 9 pm, 3$

For more information on this series, please contact: us AT panospria DOT com

--
TEXTURES

Textures is a series of deep-listening events held on the last Saturday of
each month at Pharmacie Esperanza. These salon-style concerts focus mainly
on live performances of ambient, noise and experimental music in a
comfortable and intimate setting.

I8U

I8U’s audio art can be qualified as "sound-sculpture". It reveals powerful,
opaque and complex sound environments where analog and digital meet. Her web
art can be said to follow a parallel path, incorporating both musical and
visual elements. I8U's musical path is rather special. From classical music
to the blues, it took only one chance meeting with David Kristian to get her
involved in electronic music. Her work continues to evolve as technologies
enable her to create in new environments.

TOMAS PHILLIPS

Tomas Phillips has composed electronic and electro-acoustic music since his
first solo contribution to the Shadow Tape compilation in 1994. He has since
released limited edition cd-r’s under the names Sea Optic, Lisbon and Eto
Ami (in collaboration with Dean King). In 2002, Eto Ami created the sound
design for choreographer Steve Paxton’s Flat, under the direction of Julee
Snyder, in Carborro N.C. 2003 saw the release of Tomas’ On Dit on Trente
Oiseaux. Selected performances: the Feather Net gallery in Raleigh, N.C.
(2002), the Société Des Arts Technologique in Montreal, Quebec (2003), the
Monument National in Montreal to accompany the 2003 production of Sarah
Kane’s Crave (with J. Winston Phillips), an Eto Ami playback presentation at
the Overgaden Sound Art Festival in Copenhagen (2004), a Technopera, in
conjunction with Tobias C. van Veen and the McGill University Opera Company
(Montreal, 2004) and the Placard Headphones Festival (Montreal 2005).
Current and future projects include collaborative releases with Tobias c.
van Veen (If Not, Winter, and/OAR 2005), Chantale Laplante (Chair Bell Floor
2006), i8u (Anther, Petite Sono 2006) and Dean King (À Travers le Bord
2006).

CLONAL MACHINA

Originating as part of the Real Ambient Movement in San Francisco, Clonal
Machina is now based in Montreal. The music started in SF, experimenting
with sound, different types of instruments and the creation of a short wave
radio/loop machine. His sound is makes extensive use of field recordings and
sound bytes. The roots of the music are with the musical philosophies of
Brian Eno and John Cage as well as Luigi Russollo and the Futurist movement.