[Microsound-announce] Re: June 2005 ::: BiP_HOp newsletter

philippe petit philippe-petit at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 30 09:59:48 EDT 2005

Dear Readers,
Been quite a while since I last invaded your mailbox, travelling/playing
a lot during the past few months. Really enjoyed a great time in Athens
at Bios, one of the nicest venue in Europe. Some delightful memories
from Napoli as well, Sintesi festival, and for sure Napoli has become my
favourite city in Italy. La dolce vita

In the meantime BiP_HOp has unleashed the work from 2 of the biggest
activists from London, Iris and Douglas who have been managing The
Sprawl for almost ten years and keep helping discover talented live acts
during their monthly nights.
http://www.sprawl.org.uk

Below come abbreviated infos, to read more and listen to some extracts
feel free to visit our website
http://www.bip-hop.com

SI-CUT.DB : from tears : beach archive [bleep 28]
http://www.douglasbenford.co.uk
This 7th SI-CUT.DB album is a journey circumnavigating the 'si-cut.db
dub and micro-house music templates' with a nostalgic but escapist
slant, infused with his own original sonic sensibilities (and grooves).
Mastered by click and cuts and software wunderkind TWERK (Mille
Plateaux).
+  Quicktime video 'Belonging', a collaborative short film with
Vancouver-based Pixelwrangler.
a review :

 akin to the finest work of Fennesz, and drawing a nostalgic sketch of
a dank, crackling, post "On Land" Eno landscape. An elegant release,
cocktail music for an industrial generation: just open your windows to
enjoy. Robin Rimbaud / KULTUREFLASH #122 / UK

IRIS GARRELFS : specified encounters [bleep 29]
http://www.irisgarrelfs.com
Enhanced CD contains video
Specified Encounters has been moulded from dissected, transmuted voice
sounds, settling somewhere between Arvo Pärt and Christan Fennesz. The
Wire has described her sound as "Garrelfs’s  divine caressing tones
floated over the audience
 Garrelfs’s voice swelled up into vast
cavernous echoes, sweeping the audience with it"
a review :

more than just an important document, it is also a musical work with
depth and integrity, reaching down to the most basic urges and
instincts
 CRACKED / Austria

Stay on the lookout for our next album by SAME ACTOR, "sharp edges"
[bleep 30], a name used by Chris Cook for music made predominantly with
guitar, sitar and dulcimer, processed via Max MSP soft. A perfect
combination of classical string instrument and digitalia.

We are also very proud to announce : JANEK SCHAEFFER : migration [bleep
31]
Janek composed the soundtrack for a dance show choreographed by Noemie
Lafrance and performed by the Liz Gerring Dance Company. Dancers located
on window ledges float and hang above the audience in an enormous space
on Park Avenue, opposite Central Station.... Sounds loosely associated
with the world above us swirl around, hovering above us, slowly building
and building to a majestic climax... more info on this at:
http://www.audiOh.com/projects/migration.html

This month readers of The Wire might notice a song by Deviationissts, on
the 13th Wiretapper, given away with Issue 256, as you may - or may not
know - Deviationists is a collective we started - yours truly in
collaboration with Matthieu Voirin (leader of Op*ac group). Together  we
compose the starting point of a track and then invite some friends
musicians to play on it. On "Sweetest charms" our guests were : marien
käffer (vocals) + chris 'Same Actor' cook (dulcimer) + sébastien
raimondo (self-made instruments) + françois richez (guitars) + francoise
basset (cello).

Deviationists will appear on a compilation of remixes of
Pulseprogramming which will be released by Aesthetics in 2soon
http://www.aesthetics-usa.com

Deviationists have completed a remix of Longplayer : a 1000 year long
piece of music which started to play on the 1st January 2000 and will
continue to play, without repetition, until the 31st Dec 2999, when it
will come back to the point at which it began. The proiject was composed
by Jem Finer (ex Pogues/Petals). Remixes will appear on a CD, alongside
Si-cut.db, Pierre Bastien, Scanner, Iris Garrelfs, Janek  Schaeffer, &
more....
http://longplayer.org/

For those of you attending this year's 6th Edition of the Montreal MUTEK
festival, Pan/Tone, Si-cut.db and FM3 will be performing. There is also
a MUTEK compilation album alongside the festival, which will have the
exclusive SI-CUT.DB track 'Gameplan2'.
http://mutek.ca

Talking about festival, last year Douglas Benford and dj/ip at bip-hop.com
were lucky to be invited to play Athens' Synch festival. Happening again
early in July 2005 with a brilliant line up, those attending should look
out for the Synch compilation with a short track SI-CUT.DB track on it
'regretful (edit)'
http://www.synch.gr

Our records can be bought at shops and in case you do not see them
instores :

http://www.amazon.co.uk
http://www.play.com
http://www.smallfish.co.uk
http://www.warprecords.com/mart/
http://www.u-cover.com/mailorder/

AND even better, order direct as our special offer is still available :
FREE w/ any order a collector CD of the Electronautes compilation,
documenting our 4 day festival celebrating 5 years of Batofar.
Featuring unreleased music by :
dj/ip at bip-hop.com (Philippe Petit) ; RADIO MENTALE ; KOMET ; BERN ;
TONNE ; KOMET + TONNE ; SI-CUT.DB ; JOHAN SKUGGE  ; SARAH GOLDFARB ;
TWINE ; WANG INC. plus a video clip by OBTIC with music of Si-cut.db.

also given away with your order our brand new BiP_HOp sticker.
ACT FAST since quantities are limited...

Have a nice day
Ip

| 0000 \\\\.. \\\\ __  http://www.bip-hop.com  _---| 0000 \\\\..\\\\
contemporary electronic musics challenging the ears and the mind