[Microsound-announce] [playlist] framework - 08.07.05

. m u r m e r . murmer at talk21.com
Mon Jul 11 17:16:43 EDT 2005

framework broadcasts live every friday (except the first one of each month) on resonance104.4fm  in london (uk) or worldwide on http://www.resonancefm.com between 8:30 and 9:30pm bst, and is repeated the following wednesday between 11:00am and 12:00 noon bst

http://www.resonancefm.com/framework for info and archive (coming soon!)

next broadcast: 15.07.05
~ time zone converter: http://www.thesaturnv.com/converter.html

RESONANCE FM'S PROGRAMMING IS PRODUCED ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS; PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE BY MAKING A DONATION.  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP KEEP RESONANCE ON THE AIR: HTTP://WWW.RESONANCEFM.COM.  THANK YOU!

framework - phonography/field recording; contextual and decontextualized sound activity
presented by patrick mcginley

framework summer schedule: framework returns to live airing on 26.08.05 - this week we repeated our framework:focus edition from 22.10.04.  full repeat schedule for the next several weeks at the bottom of this mail.  and the original info from the first airing of this program:

this was our second edition of our new feature program framework:focus, this one focusing on the work of chris watson, raw field recording and compositional "time compression" featured over three releases for the touch record label, as well as a recent schools project initiated by FACT (the foundation for art and creative technology) in liverpool.  wildtracks:24 was led by watson as 6 VI formers from croxteth school in liverpool explored the possibilities of environmental recording as each composed their own piece using free software based on their recordings.  in this edition we hear the students introducing their own pieces, while watson talks us through the project and takes us through his history from his favorite spot on the beach at druridge bay in northumberland.

for any more info on chris watson, his work, or releases, see his website at http://www.chriswatson.net.  for more information about FACT's projects and programs, see their website at http://www.fact.co.uk.

again, we are always looking for material for the show, whether raw field recordings, field recording based composition or introduction submissions.  send material, released or not, on any format, to the address below.   we are also hoping to have live performances as often as possible, so if you are in or passing through london please get in touch!

framework
31 nevill road
london n16 8sl
uk

framework at talk21.com

08.07.05

this edition will be repeated this wednesday, 13.07.05, at 11:00am bst

(artist  /  title  /  album  /  label)
all quotes by each track's credited artist

chris watson  /  low pressure  /  stepping into the dark  /  touch
"wind wherever the sound recordist operates is an obvious nuisance...the remarkable thing here, in glen cannich, was that i could walk through the foci of these wind sounds within  few paces, as if being part of some great instrument..."

jonathan jones  /  urban jungle  /  wildtracks:24  /  -
"...my piece represents inner-city life with a mix of animal and manmade sounds..."

chris watson  /  a passing view  /  stepping into the dark  /  touch
"today, fai, a local fisherman, took un into the huge mangrove forests at los olivitos by canoe...curiosity forced my return that night when i heard and recorded these mechanical sounds of fishing bats in the darkness..."

chris watson  /  unidentified pair of birds  /  outside the circle of fire  /  touch
"...singing hidden in a tree canopy.dry tropical rain forest, nancite, costa rica.  feb, 1995."

sean summerskill  /  positive impact  /  wildtracks:24  /  -
"...martial arts has ben a big part of my life for the past seven, eight years, so i choose to make a piece about the dynamics of fighting..."

chris watson  /  hippopotami  /  outside the circle of fire  /  touch
"the masai say the hippos spend the day on the river bed telling jokes, and then surface at dusk to laugh..."

chris watson  /  adult cheetah  /  outside the circle of fire  /  touch
"...resting by baobab tree, pamuzinda, zimbabwe  june, 1994."

christopher hansen  /  forward reverse  /  wildtracks:24  /  -
"...my soundscape is a mirror image of a journey into the city of liverpool, and then returning..."

chris watson  /  river mara at night  /  stepping into the dark  /  touch
"...listening to the wooden chimes of the tree frogs, we were met by heavy rhythm, a wall of nocturnal sound..."

gary wave  /  the big match  /  wildtracks:24  /  -
"...i'm interested in football.  my piece is to show the atmosphere of a major football match..."

chris watson  /  vultures  /  outside the circle of fire  /  touch
"...feeding on a zebra carcass...i was able to fix to omnidirectional 'personal' mics about 20 cms apart inside the exposed ribcage of the animal..."

chris watson  /  vatnajökull  /  weather report  /  touch
"the 10,000 year climatic journey of ice formed deep within this icelandic glacier and it's lingering flow into the norwegian sea."

danny king  /  circle  /  wildtracks:24  /  -
"i've done a project on the rhythm of life.  i decided to mix it up...to make it not as obvious...the title speaks for itself."

mike carter  /  make tea not war  /  wildtracks:24  /  -
"...a fight between two kids while the parents are out of the room, and then they realise they have to clean it up before they get back in and tell them off..."

chris watson  /  the blue men of the minch  /  stepping into the dark  /  touch
"...five meters beneath the surface of the moray firth and directly over a particularly deep water channel, common seals roar during their diving displays.  within a 1km radius of the hydrophone, bottle-nosed dolphins navigate and hunt using echo locating clicks..."

framework summer repeat schedule
(air date  /  original air date  /  subject)

friday, 8 july, 8:30pm bst  /  framework:focus edition from 22 october 2004  /  chris watson: wildtracks
    (repeated on wednesday, 13 july, 11:00am bst)

friday, 15 july, 8:30pm bst  /  framework:focus edition from 19 november 2004  /  marc behrens: architectural commentaries
    (repeated on wednesday, 20 july, 11:00am bst)

friday, 22 july, 8:30pm bst  /  framework:focus edition from 17 december 2004  /  jeph jerman: the work of
    (repeated on wednesday, 27 july, 11:00am bst)

friday, 29 july, 8:30pm bst  /  framework:focus edition from 18 february 2005  /  dallas simpson: peggy's paradise
    (repeated on wednesday, 3 august, 11:00am bst)

friday, 12 august, 8:30pm bst  /  framework:focus edition from 18 march 2005  /  john kannenberg: the audible still life
    (repeated on wednesday, 27 july, 11:00am bst)

friday, 19 august, 8:30pm bst  /  framework:focus edition from 27 may 2005  /  aaron ximm: one minute vacations
    (repeated on wednesday, 27 july, 11:00am bst)

framework intro submissions:

1)    take yourself and an audio recording device to a location of your choice
2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
3)    read the following text:

welcome to framework.

framework is a show consecrated to field recording, and it's use in composition.
field recording, phonography, the art of sound-hunting; open your ears and listen!

4)    continue your recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after you've finish speaking
5)    send the recording on any format to the address above, or as an mp3 via email

thanks!