[codecraft] Auditing Algorithms

Philip Durbin philipdurbin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 07:51:24 EST 2016

http://dataskeptic.com/epnotes/auditing-algorithms.php

"Surprisingly, in the face of public scrutiny the company did not deny its
manipulations.
Speaking before the US Congress, the president of American, Robert L.
Crandall, boldly
declared that biasing SABRE’s search results to the advantage of his own
company was in fact
his primary aim. He testified that “the preferential display of our
flights, and the corresponding
increase in our market share, is the competitive raison d’etre for having
created the [SABRE]
system in the first place” (Petzinger, 1996). We might call this
perspective “Crandall’s
complaint:” Why would you build and operate an expensive algorithm if you
can’t bias it in your
favor?"

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~csandvig/research/Auditing%20Algorithms%20--%20Sandvig%20--%20ICA%202014%20Data%20and%20Discrimination%20Preconference.pdf