[microsound-announce] Call for memories - Soundtracks

Stijn Demeulenaere zztijn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 19:11:39 EDT 2016

Call for memories!

May I ask you for a recollection? My Installation Soundtracks will be shown at the next edition of the Sounding City exhibition at Festival van Vlaanderen Kortrijk (Belgium) and for it I would need your help.

The installation Soundtracks is an archive of memories of sound. At the moment, the installation holds about a 1000 letters from all over the world in about 15 different languages. The letters tell of memories of sounds that were important to someone, that struck them or stayed with them. Soundtracks wants to research which kind of sounds get remembered, and how they are remembered. Why do we remember them? Can we hear those sounds again in our heads, or can we only remember the circumstances of the situation; the outlines, the edges of the sound?

For it’s next instalment, I want to expand the archive and that’s why I would like to ask you – if you feel so inclined – to make a contribution to the archive. Send me a letter! To take a moment and try to find your memory of a sound, a sound that was important to you. And I would want to ask you to describe the sound, to write down your memory, by hand, on paper and mail it by post. You can find more information, and the address to send the letter to on the following page: http://stijndemeulenaere.be/soundtracks.html

I appreciate every letter I get enormously. Thank you in advance...

kind regards

Stijn Demeulenaere

www.stijndemeulenaere.be