[microsound-announce] ADAF 2015 | Call for artists | Deadline extended to 18 March

Katerina Gkoutziouli katerina.gkoutziouli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 02:14:17 EDT 2015

Athens Digital Arts Festival
​2015​

​Athens Digital Arts Festival
 invites you to submit
​your ​
proposals for its next edition taking place in
​late May
 in Athens
​, Greece.​

Extended deadline for submissions: 18 March 2015.

submission info: http://www.adaf.gr/2015-edition/ ​
festival website: www.adaf.gr​

​Public Space_s​

In our times, the notion of public space appears to be one of the most
contradictory concepts. With the rise of network and communication
technologies, our experience of public space has changed. Public space is
not only characterised by physical space and architecture but also by
networks and knowledge distribution.

While public space is mainly being interpreted through urban planning,
digital public space is organised through IP locations, URLs and protocols.
Their cartographies, as distinct as they may seem, are both informed by
network dynamics that add new layers of interpretation. Squares, parks,
streets and the Internet are all potential public spaces that are activated
through participation and engagement in order to acquire meaning.

The multiple interconnected spaces within which we act have redefined and
affected our perception of everyday life as well as our social and cultural
imaginaries. On the other hand, real-time data circulation and information
exchange have created new patterns of communication allowing communities to
surpass their localities and explore new modes of engagement and
collaboration.

However, inhabiting at the same time a plethora of spaces that are
potentially public the question that arises is: how open and free are these
spaces?
​and
Have the visions regarding open access to public space and eventually
public data been fulfilled?

Through this call,
​Athens Digital Arts Festival​
 invites proposals to explore the notion of “public” both in the digital
and physical space.