[microsound-announce] [framework radio] #456: 2014.03.02

. m u r m e r . murmer at murmerings.com
Mon Mar 3 05:12:34 EST 2014

framework radio
phonography ::: field recording ::: the art of sound-hunting
open your ears and listen!

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

framework broadcasts:
   - sunday, 23:00 ::: london, uk ::: resonance 104.4fm
       (http://www.resonancefm.com)
   - monday, 05:00 ::: amsterdam, nl ::: concertzender
       (http://www.concertzender.nl)
   - monday, 16:30 ::: vancouver, us ::: radio nouspace
       (http://www.radionouspace.net)
   - tuesday, 12:30 ::: south devon, uk ::: soundartradio 102.5fm
       (http://www.soundartradio.org.uk)
   - wednesday, 15:00 ::: lisbon, pt ::: radio zero
       (http://www.radiozero.pt)
   - wednesday, 16:30 ::: vancouver, us ::: radio nouspace
       (http://www.radionouspace.net)
   - thursday, 02:00 ::: coimbra, pt ::: rádio universidade de coimbra
       (http://www.ruc.pt)
   - thursday, 19:00 ::: lisbon, pt ::: radio zero
       (http://www.radiozero.pt)
   - thursday, 11:00 ::: maribor, si ::: radio maršš 95.9fm
       (http://www.radiomars.si)
   - friday, 00:00 ::: ljubljana, si ::: radio študent 89.3fm
       [http://radiostudent.si]
   - friday, 01:00 ::: brussels, be ::: radio campus 92.1fm
       (http://www.radiocampusbruxelles.org)
   - friday, 16:30 ::: vancouver, us ::: radio nouspace
       (http://www.radionouspace.net)
   - saturday, 11:00 ::: new york state, us ::: wgxc 90.7fm
       (http://www.wgxc.org)
   - saturday, 14:00 ::: brasilía, br ::: rádio paisagem
       (http://www.radiopaisagem.org)

~ time zone converter: http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com ~

for general info, playlists, podcasts, or to stream the latest edition
at any time: http://www.frameworkradio.net

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
SUPPORT FRAMEWORK! your contributions make framework possible. please
consider signing up to become a regular monthly donor, or make a
one-time contribution. as a thank-you for your subscription of €5 or
more, or your one-time donation of €20 or more, we'll send you the
latest issue of our framework:seasonal release series! we can't do it
without you, and we greatly appreciate your support.
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

#456: 2014.03.02
listen to this edition here:
http://www.frameworkradio.net/2014/03/456-2014-03-02/ ‎

this edition of framework:afield, entitled 'earwigs', has been produced
by yannick dauby and his students from the national taiwan university.
for more information on yannick and his work see http://www.kalerne.net.
notes on the show:

EARWIGS

A series of projects by the students of the class "Soundscape and Sound
Art" taught by Yannick Dauby & Chien-Chang Yang (楊建章), with the
assistance of Yi-Ju Hsieh (謝宜儒). After a few weeks of sharing,
discussion, listening exercises and field recording practice, the
students present during this class (September to December 2013,
Institute of Musicology, National Taiwan University) began a collective
work, exploring a topic through listening, interviews and environmental
recordings.

1. "A Day In NTU"
by Malachi McGee (李旭豐), Cyrielle Belbezier & Chan-Peng Liu (劉展鵬)

Arriving as exchange students at National Taiwan University, our ears
were greeted by a cacophony of foreign sound. We heard the spinning
and whirring of bicycle wheels, and the crisp voice of the bell as it
called us to class. We heard the roar of the restaurants full of
customers hungry, and the rumble of buses behind a red traffic light.
We heard the sizzle of dumplings on a blue plastic plate, and long
trails of Chinese that hung warm on the air. Within each day, we found
a sonic feast, and our ears devoured each course until we came to know
many of them quite well. They are the sounds that haunt the soundscape
of National Taiwan University. When we leave and return to our own
countries, we take a piece of that soundscape with us, to echo softly
in the chambers of our hearts, forever.

2. "You Throw, Then I Pick"
by Tzu-Ying Chuang (莊子瑩), Yi-Fan Liu (劉亦凡), Shun-Te Wang (王順德)&
Pei-Ling Wu (吳沛綾)

How/What do Taiwanese do with garbage?

The music from trash trucks starts on time, every day, floating over the
flourishing city. Consumption, abandonment, people creates large amount
of garbage during their daily life. At the same time, trashes are picked
up by some of the citizens, who live through the meager income by
selling the recyclable things.

The project is made to show this kind of special relationship between
people, garbage and the whole environment in Taiwan. By this work, we
want to review the country we live in a unique way, and introduce it to
the whole world.

3. "A Temple Named Lungshan"
by Che Pai (白哲) & Ya-Lan Yu (俞雅嵐)

As a specific landscape of social and religious meanings in abundance ,
Longshan Temple has various kinds of sounds. In this project we focus on
the people who shows their piety to God. Interestingly, we find that
most prayers in the temple we recorded are from women.  These sounds
show how people get their wills heard by God through certain rituals. At
the later part, an old man with crutch walks out the temple. we follow
his ticking steps and stop in front of a remodeled motorbike. Facing the
very gate of the temple, the owner starts playing his Exhortatory song.
All these sounds combine with the concept of divinity and closely relate
to Taiwanese daily life.

On the other aspect, due to restrictions on time and thesis,we cut off
sounds around this area: the group gambling, hooker advertising, local
market life and so on. These sounds may be developed into another work
in the future which deals with secular life outside Longshang Temple.

4. "Tea Factory In Hsinchu (新竹)"
by Simón Rodríguez Iglesias (羅西蒙), Hyunyoo Park (朴炫惟) and
Wan-Hsuan Wang (王婉璇)

Tradition and culture are transforming as time moves on. Also, it shows
different impression from different perspectives.

This project focus on the specific tea culture in taiwan. Taiwanese tea
culture has a hundred years of history, but the tea related business has
been gradually forgotten as policy put more emphasis on technology
development. However, it revised into another form, making people in
Taiwan can still appreciate this beautiful tradition.

We aimed to record how people who work in the tea factory react to this
kind of transition, how visitors think of this culture and how this old
culture polish itself to fit in nowadays’ world.

5. "Baseball Game In Taiwan"
by Chung Ai (鍾愛) & Chun-Chieh CHANG  (張鈞傑)

Baseball game is the most popular sport game in Taiwan. People from all
ages gather into the baseball field, cheering for favorite teams,
spending a good time with families and friends, and best of all,
enjoying the most exciting, contagious atmosphere that most represent
baseball games in Taiwan.

6. "TEAing Satoyama Ping-Lin"
by Run-Lin Huang(黃潤琳) &   Chih-Yang Chang(張智揚)

This is not only a sound of Ping-Lin, it’s also the action of students
who are providing their best care of Satoyama Ping-lin. By working with
local tea farmers, organic farming instead of using fertilizer, branding
and selling Taiwan Blue-Magpie Tea, the action of Organic TEAgriculture
and Blue Magpie Conservation is taken place step by step everyday.

again, we are always looking for new material, whether raw field
recordings, field recording based composition, or introduction
submissions. we are also now accepting proposals for full editions of
our guest curated framework:afield series. send proposals or material,
released or not, on any format, to the address at the bottom of this
mail. if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

framework intro submissions:

   1)    take yourself and an audio recorder to a location of your choice
   2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
   3)    read aloud the following text (in english or translated):

welcome to framework. framework is a show consecrated to
field-recording, and its use in composition.  field-recording,
phonography, the art of sound hunting; open your ears and listen!

   4)    continue recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after the text
   5)    post the
recording to us on any format, or send us an mp3––––––––––––––––––––––––––

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
framework
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
::   http://www.frameworkradio.net
::   info at frameworkradio.net
::
::   http://www.facebook.com/frameworkradio