[microsound-announce] UPDATE: SoundBoxes Workshop Berlin

Derek Holzer macumbista at googlemail.com
Fri May 18 09:02:07 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

I wanted to inform you that there are still places in the Soundboxes
workshop available, and that the public presentation will be held at
O'Tannenbaum, near Hermannplatz in Berlin-Neukoelln on Sunday 27 May at
20:00. I will also play a short live set for DIY electronics, found
objects and speakerbox. Hope to see you there!

Best,
Derek

***

SOUNDBOXES WORKSHOP with DEREK HOLZER

Workshop: May 26 & 27, 2012, Time 11-19
Workshop Venue: NK Projekt, Elsenstr. 52 2HH 2Etage, Berlin Neukoelln

Presentation + live Macumbista set: Sunday May 27 2012, Time 20.00
Presentation Venue: O’Tannenbaum, Sonnenallee 27, Berlin Neukoelln

Discover the hidden sonic qualities of objects from our everyday world
in this workshop, combining the arts of electronics, noise, sculpture
and collage. The basic elements we will employ are a wooden box, a
speaker, a small audio amplifier, and a contact microphone. To this,
brave box-builders will add their own found objects, graphics, images,
memories and ideas to create a unique electroacoustic cabinet of
curiosities.

No previous electronics experience is necessary for this workshop. Each
participant is required to bring several items to the workshop, please
see below.

TIMETABLE

Day One: Introduction to simple noise/electroacoustic electronics,
circuit soldering.

Day Two: Box-building, decoration and collage, experimentation with
found objects as sound sources.

Final Presentation: All participants will present their finished
soundboxes to the public at the end of the second day!

WHAT TO BRING

I will provide most of the tools and materials necessary for
constructing the box, however there are a few things you should bring
yourself:

1) A BOX: This should be made of thin wood or very strong cardboard.
Plastic can be also used, but it doesn’t sound very good. And please, no
metal! It is too difficult to cut and drill with the tools we will have.
This box should be a minimum of 10x10x4cm, or bigger if you want to use
a larger speaker or have more room to decorate and add objects. Cigar
boxes, small suitcases, instrument cases or jewelry/silverware boxes are
all good things to look for. At least one side of the box should be no
more than 5mm thick, to allow the hardware to be mounted.

2) A SPEAKER (OPTIONAL): I will have a selection of speakers for
participants to use. However, if you have something special please bring
it along, but please make sure it fits in the box you have chosen!

3) FOUND OBJECTS: Please bring as many found objects as you can to
decorate your soundbox or use as a sound source via the contact
microphone. Bones, shells, small sticks, bells, strings, wires, springs
(especially!) or anything else made out of solid yet resonant material
make great sound sources. Photographs, cloth, leather, paper or any
other kind of material can be useful for covering the box and making
collages. Paint, markers and pens may also be useful.

4) EFFECTS PEDALS (OPTIONAL): Any kind of battery-powered effects
pedals, such as distortions, filters or delays, can be very useful in
creating more nonlinearities in the feedback loop.

FURTHER INFO:

The NK Projekt’s page for this workshop:

http://www.nkprojekt.de/soundboxes-workshop-with-derek-holzer/

You can see videos and photos from previous SoundBoxes workshops here:

http://macumbista.net/?page_id=1897

Or use the “soundboxes” tag to see all posts related to SoundBoxes:

http://macumbista.net/?tag=soundboxes

ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:

Derek Holzer (1972) is an American sound artist based in Berlin, whose
current interests include DIY analog electronics, sound art, field
recording and the meeting points of electroacoustic, noise, improv and
extreme music. He has played live experimental sound, as well as taught
workshops in noise art technology, across Europe, North America, Brazil
and New Zealand.

http://macumbista.net/

BASIC INFO:

Fee: EUR 35 (participation) + EUR 10 (materials) Registration is
required and can be done by sending an email to info at nkprojekt.de with
the subject line “SoundBoxes”

Number of Participants: Minimum 6/Maximum 14

Location: NK Projekt
Elsenstr. 52 2HH 2Etage
12059 Berlin
+49(0)17620626386