[microsound-announce] murmerings ::: 2012.02 ::: birds, reflections, seasons

. m u r m e r . murmer at murmerings.com
Sun Feb 26 10:33:08 EST 2012

murmerings 2012.02 ::: tartu, estonia

::: murmerings is an occasional update on the comings and goings of
sound, radio and performance artist patrick mcginley, aka murmer ::: to
be added to or removed from this mailing list drop a note to
murmer at murmerings.com :::

my template for this occasional announcement mail still says 2010 on it,
which means it's been an appallingly long time since i wrote anything to
you. the website is horrifically out of date, many works need finishing,
and i need a shave. i've been hermiting away here in tartu,
concentrating a lot on building up framework, building a home, and
building a studio. communication has been missing, however, although
hopefully that will be changing in 2012.

things to tell you about now: two new murmer releases, several more
upcoming, the new(ish) series of framework compilations, travel plans,
and an estonian folk-music sideproject...

::: lind, raud, aastaajad, 2cd on invisible birds :::

the long-in-the-making double cd with yannick dauby and john grzinich
has now been released on the invisible birds label, and copies are
available directly from me, from the label, or from your favorite
retailer. more info and sound samples on the label's site:

http://invisiblebirds.org/catalogue/ib005.html

the release features one disc of yannick's own field recordings from his
time here in estonia of birds and found metal structures, and one disc
of compositions my john and me (two each) using our own recordings and
electronic sounds provided by yannick. here are some words from
yannick's liner notes:

"Four years later, I listen back to my recordings, and the transparent
light of the Baltic Spring is still vivid. What attracted me in Estonia
were the accounts of my friends, the quality of silence, the colours of
the seasons, the absence of frontier between day and night, the beauty
of the language. Right now I can barely imagine that such place exists:
I am living in the most opposite environment, in a noisy and crowded
city, on a sub-tropical island filled with greenness all year long.
Estonia was just like a wide open mental space. I came too late to
really observe the traces of soviet activities, the country was slowly
transforming. In the places I visited, the strongest presences were
those of the birds of June, and the metal structures vibrating under the
wind.

Patrick was the one who convinced me to visit this inspiring territory,
his eyes and smiles and moustaches were all telling me to go and listen
and watch. John was my guide in this area: not only driving me around
but introducing his most precious locations, in which he becomes an
instrument for the landscape. Four years later, following the enthusiasm
of Invisible Birds, Diane and Matthew, the publication of my field
recordings was a pretext to invite John and Patrick to make me listen to
their subjective seasons of Estonia." -Yannick Dauby, 16.05.2011

::: specular reflection (liquid solid redux 2000-2010), mini-cdr on
taâlem :::

another work long in the making - again, i have copies, or you can get
them directly from taâlem. info and sounds:

http://www.taalem.com/alm82.htm

from the liner notes: "liquid solid was originally composed in 2000,
released by absurd records on the album definition in 2003. the source
recordings were made on minidisc and reworked on an old cassette
4-track. in 2010, as a sort of game, or perhaps exercise in
concentration, i decided to recreate the piece as closely as possible
using the original source material and the computer techniques i hadn't
had 10 years previous. this is the result. this piece is dedicated to
gordon."

::: framework seasonal, fundraising compilations :::

since i last wrote framework has expanded greatly, and is now
broadcasting on 7 radio stations around the world, the most recent
addition being the great radio marš in maribor, slovenia. of course, we
are always interested in being able to broadcast in new places, so if
you know of a radio station that might be interested in adding the
program to its schedule, please put us in touch!

meanwhile, in the autumn of last year the new series of framework radio
fundraising compilations, framework seasonal, finally saw the light of
day. these will be released 2 to 4 times a year, and will feature new
and unreleased works from the field recording community, donated by
their creators in support of framework. they are packaged in locally
printed sleeves made of locally produced paper, and are slow burned onto
the highest quality taiyo yuden cdrs. they are available only directly
from framework in exchange for a donation in support of the program.

the first edition, autumn 2011, features new works from artists such as
marc behrens, lee patterson, ernst karel, and many more. more
information on the series and the first edition here:

http://www.frameworkradio.net/seasonal
http://www.frameworkradio.net/seasonal/autumn2011

please show your support for framework radio and donate!

::: ütsiotsõ cd release :::

also released this past year is the great first album by my good
friends, the estonian traditional vocal group ütsiotsõ. for this
document they group and their record label decided that they preferred
the idea of recording their songs in real spaces, the kinds of spaces in
which the songs may originally have been sung or which had inspired
their writing, to the idea of recording them in a studio, so they
invited me to join the project. together we traveled around southern
estonia, recording in forests, old meeting halls, swamps, cabins,
churches, capturing real acoustics and the natural resonances of these
ancient songs. they were even keen to let me include a few tracks of
field recordings made during our travels in the final master. more
information (in estonian) and some sounds on the label's website here:

http://hakihely.blogspot.com

the album is available directly from me, or is now available in the u.s.
(along, most likely, with everything else in this mail) from the great
aquarius records:

http://www.aquariusrecords.org

::: and furthermore :::

after having no new releases since 2008's revenant:topolo cd (aside from
my contribution to the russian-produced range compilation last year)
this seems like a lot already, but there's more to come this year: a
double cd on the malaysian herbal international label, and another
release on jim hayne's great helen scarsdale agency in san francisco.
i'm also looking for a home for another murmer work-in-progress, and am
interested in finding more ways to disseminate work from the
revenant:sound project. in you know a publisher that might be interested
in either of these projects please let me know!

this year should see travels to slovenia, croatia, belgium, poland, the
u.s. and taiwan, as well as some new projects here in estonia and
further work with MoKS centre for art and social practice
(http://moks.ee). also a new website and some stronger channels for
communication. so you'll be hearing more from me soon!

best,
patrick

--

|||http://www.murmerings.com  |||