[microsound-announce] Call for Proposals Sound Wave Festival((5))

justino at anihilo.com justino at anihilo.com
Thu Sep 1 17:54:03 EDT 2011

CALL FOR PROPOSALS
SOUNDWAVE ((5)) HUMANITIES
Summer 2012, San Francisco USA

The next season of Soundwave will explore our sonic connections to the
human condition. For HUMANITIES, Soundwave seeks artists, composers and
musicians to investigate our human experience, and examine the future of
our human constructs, cultures and rituals through sound.
>From Season 4’s outward examination of the environment to Season 5’s inward
reflection of our own being and existence, the 2012 festival attempts to
voice what makes us human in the backdrop of the MesoAmerican Long Count
Calendar “Rebirth” and the ensuing mythologies and theories.

Soundwave seeks experience-driven performances that reinterpret the
connections between sound and our human experience through its
instrumentation, concept, visual collaboration, installation, audience
interaction, or production by local and international sound and media
artists, technologists, designers, musicians, and composers.

the questions
How can the human body, mind and spirit affect sound? What are the future
sonic traditions of our cultures (ethnic, social, community)? How will
technology affect our humanity and our sonic experience and traditions?
What does it means to be human? (How we live, where we come from, how we
think, and how we construct existence (physical, emotional, spiritual)).
How will we construct our humanness (ideas about higher power/purpose,
myths, legends, cultures and traditions, human consciousness, metaphysical
constructs, human identity, human exchange, and our relation to the world)?
How do we measure existence now and in the future? What does evolution look
like/sound like for the self, body, mind/intellect, and the world?

concepts to consider
electric body impulses; mind-manipulated sound technologies and recordings;
body sonics; body instrumentation; brain waves to soundwaves;
re-imaginations of ritual acoustics, spiritual, cultural, social acoustics,
sonic legends, myths, folklore and fables; new concepts of the Griots,
Bards, & Minstrals; hybridized traditions/cultures; imagined utopias;
evolutions, regeneration, rebirth, and revolutions; how the world came to
be in present form/ future form; supernatural heroes, gods, shamans; magic,
illusions and faith; re-imagination and re-interpretations of existence;
regenerations and cycles of life; re-interpretation of the home/soul/heart;
new ways of experiencing human instinct and desire; human-enabled sonic
technologies; dance collaborations, film collaborations, theatrics, and
other artist imaginations.

season 5 mission
HUMANITIES hopes to engage artists and audiences with new voices exploring
/ celebrating / challenging human existence, and re-inventing a world of
human possibility. It hopes to inspire thought and action while showcasing
sound’s inherent connection to our physical and spiritual bodies and
innovative artistic voices for the ‘rebirth’ of our humanity.

important dates
Open Call Deadline: October 10 2011
Artist Notification: November 2011
Artist Performance Development: Jan-June 2012
Performance Dates: July through Sept 2012

festival details
Dates and Venues: Soundwave will take place on various dates between July
and September 2012 at various venues in San Francisco. We work with the
invited artist to schedule available dates, as well as venues appropriate
for their work. Typically, specific dates and venues are confirmed three
months in advance.

Artist Fees: Fees to performing artists are modest. Amount is dependent on
grant awards and fundraising currently in process. Typically, fees are
confirmed three months in advance of performance date.

Accommodations: We are unable to offer accommodation fees for international
artists and American artists outside of the Bay Area. We can offer housing,
with limited availability, in private homes of friendly and enthusiastic
friends of Soundwave to sleep and store belongings.

Travel: We invite all artists to submit proposals, but we are unable to
offer financial assistance to cover travel costs for those outside the Bay
Area. We ask our international artists and American artists outside of the
Bay Area to apply for travel funding through their national arts councils
and private foundations in their home country (ie. Canadian Artists –
Canada Council for the Arts). We will need to be notified of your travel
award or notification of self-travel by March 01, 2012 or the invitation
will be rescinded. We do occasionally apply for grants specifically for our
International artists and American artists outside the Bay Area. Artists
that apply early will have better access to these grants. These grants,
however, would not be enough to offset travel and accommodation costs, so
we encourage those to continue to apply for travel grants.

Jury: A curatorial committee made up of MEDIATE directors and creative
professionals from diverse sonic and artistic backgrounds will rigorously
jury proposals based on congruity of theme, ingenuity of project, diversity
of artists’ perspective, and feasibility of production.

proposal guidelines
All proposals MUST include:

    Your artistic resume and website (including past performances,
exhibitions, commissions, discography, videography)
    A concise project description limited to 500 words. Indicate whether
this is a completed project, a work-in-progress or yet to be realized, as
well as, the performance duration of your work (most performances are
limited to 20-30 minutes long with merited exceptions). Please indicated if
it is time specific so we may have the ability to accommodate. Supply dates
of availability for performance in San Francisco, if any.
    3 past works you wish to showcase in support of your proposal
(documentation in the form of recordings, images, video, etc.)
    A detailed list of your technical needs and space requirements
    A 100-200 word typed bio of quality for publication in press materials
    High resolution photograph(s) of yourself, your group and/or your work
for press materials. Digital images must be a minimum of 8X10 at 300 dpi.
In Jpeg or Tiff format with the extension attached (.jpg or .tif). Do not
embed photographs in Word or any other program.
    Any support materials such as press articles, CDs, MP3s, videos,
documentation, diagrams that will strengthen and enhance your proposal.
    Artists outside Bay Area/International Artists: MUST also provide
information of how they will fund their travel (specify self-travel or
application to travel grants), and whether they can attend in the event
travel assistance is unsuccessful. Your ability to be self-sufficient in
travel is favorable, however it will not strengthen/weaken the merits of
your proposal.

how to submit
Email: submissions at me-di-ate.net (DO NOT send image, audio or text
attachments the email over 5MB. We prefer you providing links to these
supporting materials and hi-res pictures. Alternately, these materials can
be mailed to the address below.
Mail: MEDIATE, P.O. Box 170305, San Francisco, CA, 94117-0305, USA

about soundwave
Soundwave is MEDIATE’s acclaimed biennial festival of innovative sound, art
and music. Soundwave is a multi-venue and multi-date sound performance
series happening over the span of two months every two years in San
Francisco USA. Each season investigates a new idea in sound and invites
diverse multidisciplinary artists and musicians to explore the season’s
theme in new and innovative directions. Soundwave has completed four
successful seasons: Season 4’s GREEN SOUND in 2010, Season 3’s MOVE>SOUND
in 2008, Season 2’s SURROUND>SOUND in 2006 and Season 1’s FREE>SOUND in
2004. Created by MEDIATE founder and artistic director Alan So, Soundwave
explores the boundaries of how we see sound, language and music. It is a
project dedicated to challenge and inspire artists and audiences to look
deeper into the sound medium and discover new connections to sound making
and the sound experience. Soundwave was awarded Best Sound Sculptures –
Future Classic by San Francisco Magazine’s BEST of 2007 issue. It has been
featured on SPARK*, KQED’s (PBS) television arts show and Educator Guide on
Experimental Music, SF Weekly, SF Chronicle, BBC Radio 3 (UK), San
Francisco Bay Guardian, 7×7 Magazine, SFist, WNYC Public Radio, ResonanceFM
(UK), KUSF, KALX, KPFA, amongst others.

“Soundwave has sought to make irrelevant the typical distinctions between
artist, musician, audience, stage, and venue
 idiosyncratic performances
that are challenging, charming, magical, assaultive, and (as is always the
case with really sweet sound art) deeply personal for everyone present.” –
Frances Reade, SF Weekly
“It’s an artistic and exploratory experience for your senses that will open
your eyes and your mind.” – Nitevibe

Project Website: www.projectsoundwave.com
Organization Website: www.me-di-ate.net
Inquiries and Questions: connect at me-di-ate.net