[microsound-announce] A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DRONE 20th/21st June - call for contribution/participation

Ryan Jordan ryan-jordan at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 08:49:23 EDT 2011

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DRONE

John Bowers and Ryan Jordan will be practising a midsummer night's ritual.
Beginning at sunset on Monday 20th June
Finishing at sunrise on Tuesday 21st June

Our
 intention is to drone from sunset to sunrise somewhere on the coast of
Suffolk, the county which contains the easternmost areas of England.
This way we can help usher in midsummer's day a little ahead, and so
helping out, the Druids at Stonehenge a couple of degrees to the West.
We will take several of our own noisemakers and quietly drone on the
beach.

You
 are invited to take part. You can join us by the sea. You can set a
drone going in your own home to synchronise with us or following your
local sunset and sunrise. You can submit materials to us (loops, whole
tracks) which we will play on your behalf. You can submit some code
(although we are only running on batteries so keep this in mind). You
can think of us warmly. Whatever you like.

**Contact us via john.m.bowers [at] gmail.com
andryan-jordan [at] hotmail.co.ukfor location information (once we have finalised this) and submission details etc.**

Warning!
 Techie stuff! If you prepare drones to play with us, you are free to
use whatever tuning you like. But if you like a little
maths/theory/occultism you might try notes which are suboctaves of the
earth's orbit around the sun or of the earth on its own axis.

The
 earth orbits the sun in about 365.25 days. Down 31 octaves this is
...69.05Hz, a slightly flat C sharp. This midsummer the earth will
rotate on its own axis in 24 hrs 13 secs. Down 21 octaves this is
24.27Hz, a slightly flat G.

If you want the music of the spheres,
 you could do worse than play C sharp and G which make a nice discord
when played together. If you want a third note to represent the
interaction of the earth's rotation and orbit which together make up
'midsummer night', you could play the product of the two (1651.53Hz) or a
 suboctave of it, a slightly flat G sharp.