[microsound-announce] Two new releases of ambient, freeform and microsound compositions

Jeffrey Melton jeffreymelton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:11:22 EST 2011

I wanted to let you know about two recent releases of ambient, freeform and
microsound compositions:

*melton.granular.01* (http://nofi.bandcamp.com/album/granular-01) and *
melton.granular.02* (http://nofi.bandcamp.com/album/granular-02)
collect my recent
work in microsound-scapes, featuring granular and pulsar synthesis, freeform
rhythms and tone colors. Tracks can also be streamed at
http://soundcloud.com/nofi/sets/microsound-1/

Production Notes
All sounds were created with Density GS and Pulsaret instruments (both the
standalone apps and Max for Live versions). Arrangement, mixing and
mastering was done with Ableton Suite. Processing effects were limited to
resonant filters, grain delay, reverb and EQ.

Concepts & Aesthetics
Taking John Cage's statement "There is no noise, only sound" as a starting
point, these compositions explore the hinterlands of microsound particles
and drones, non-sequenced rhythms and the diversity of organic and synthetic
timbres. Rather than drone, each piece evolves with components that swell
and recede, resonate, percolate, pulsate, shimmer, flutter, meander and
migrate. Sample sources include: strings; flute; toy piano, bells and
cymbals; vinyl records; elementary sound waveforms.

Track listings
*melton.granular.01*

   1. Angularity v.01 - 04m00s
   2. The Chymist v.01 - 23m31s
   3. Coronal Mass v.01 - 09m14s
   4. Dressmaker v.01 - 03m44s

*melton.granular.02*

   1. Tetrad v.01, pt.2 - 09m16s
   2. A Froward Mass v.01 - 24m26s
   3. Penumbra v.01 - 06m07s
   4. Promises v.02 - 12m38s

 Photos and artwork
http://www.nofi.org/bits/2011/jeffrey.melton.mugshot.jpg (64KB JPEG)
http://www.nofi.org/bits/2011/melton.granular.01.jpg (132KB JPEG)
http://www.nofi.org/bits/2011/melton.granular.02.jpg (170KB JPEG)

Tags
ambient, conceptual, Density, drone, experimental, freeform, granular,
organic, non-sequenced, pulsar, Pulsaret, sampling, space, synthetic,
synthesis, timbre

Biography
I have composed experimental and synthesized music for more than 20 years,
beginning in the late 1980s with tape collage and reel-to-reel loop
experiments. I moved on to computer-based sequencing, with a series of
cassettes under the name Biotek during the mid 1990s and CD-Rs using the
name Nofi beginning in 1997. Since 1999, I have maintained the website nofi
dot org (http://www.nofi.org/) as a blog and showcase for my media arts
work. Recent computer-based ambient/freeform/microsound compositions as well
as sequenced work can be previewed at http://soundcloud.com/nofi.

Resources
Density GS and Pulsaret: http://www.densitygs.com/
Ableton Suite: http://www.ableton.com/suite-8
Max for Live: http://cycling74.com/products/maxforlive/
Microsound overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsound

###

If you do not wish to receive updates, reply and I will remove you. Please
forward this message to others you know who may be interested. Thank you for
your time and consideration. Cheers,
--
Jeffrey Melton