[microsound-announce] Jay Needham at The (New) Corpse, Friday Feb 18

Eric Leonardson info at mwsae.org
Sat Feb 12 22:27:59 EST 2011

I hope you will join me at *7PM this Friday evening, Feb. 18* for a
special presentation by sound and media artist *Jay Needham*, at *The
(New) Corpse <http://thecorpselives.com/?p=273>*, 1511 N. Milwaukee
Avenue, 2nd floor.

Jay will present selections from recent works in a lecture titled */Ars
Memoria: Several Alternate Histories of Place/.* Jay will be finishing a
chapter on the sounds of Mashinima and planning an evening of radio art
and surround sound works for the April 2011 *Out of the Box Contemporary
Music Festival* in Carbondale, Illinois. Jay is an Associate Professor
in the Communications Department at *Southern Illinois University
<http://mcma.siu.edu/profiles/jay-needham>*, and a member of the
*Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology <http://mwsae.org>* (MSAE).

Jay's media art engages the ecology, memory, and narratives of place in
diverse environments such as Antarctica, the U.S. Department of Energy's
Hanford Site, and the Panama Canal Zone. He has an extensive history of
international exhibitions and broadcasts employing film, video, sound
installations, and works for radio. Listen and watch examples of Jay's
fascinating work at http://www.wavespace.org/

Please enter *The (New) Corpse* via the black door next to the Singer
Sewing Machine shop. (Following our meeting, walk up the street and
catch the 9PM concert at Enemy <http://www.enemysound.com>, 1550 N.
Milwaukee Ave., 3rd floor. Performing: *Robert Turman, Olivia Block
<http://www.oliviablock.net/>* with *Lou Mallozzi, *and*Startless.*)

Jay Needham's presentation is free and open to the public, the second in
a series of monthly meetings organized by the *Midwest Society for
Acoustic Ecology* and *World Listening Project*. To learn more about our
efforts http://mwsae.org, and http://www.worldlisteningproject.org. The
MSAE also has a Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Society-for-Acoustic-Ecology/118813283125

*Coming up in March, Viv Corringham* comes to Chicago to talk about her
/Shadow-walks project/ <http://www.vivcorringham.org/shadow-walks>/.
/Please check back on the MSAE website for updates, as we add
soundwalks, workshops, and other public events to our Spring and Summer
2011 schedule.

My apologies if you've received this message more than once.

Sincerely,
Eric

--
Eric Leonardson, President