[microsound-announce] SuperCollider lessons

872204 872204 at chrisjeffs.com
Fri Aug 26 12:31:47 EDT 2011

Hello, my name's Chris Jeffs and I'd like to announce that I am available for individual teaching of SuperCollider, the language and environment for digital audio synthesis.

Sessions can take place in person here in Berlin, or worldwide over Skype, with screen sharing.

For beginners, with or without previous programming experience, you will quickly be making your own patches. For intermediate users, I may be able to help with your projects. In any case, we will be working at a pace comfortable for you. If interested, please get in touch to discuss times and prices, at 872204 at chrisjeffs.com.

~

Why use SuperCollider? Musicians use it to have greater control over synthesis and create sounds not possible through other means. Sound engineers or scientists can gain a better understanding of the nature of sound and digital audio. Composers are able to explore the world of algorithmic composition, an area in which SuperCollider excels. And for the curious: to investigate something new and different, and make some cool sounds. With an active and constantly growing community, an MIT book recently released, and a new update on the horizon with greater multi-platform compatibility, there's never been a better time to learn SC. For more info, go to http://supercollider.sourceforge.net/.

To outline my experience in this field: I started programming in SuperCollider from 1998, and since 2004 have released 6 EPs and 5 albums created almost entirely with self-made SC systems, in addition to playing many live and DJ sets, often with reactive visuals, using nothing else. In 2010 my application "Particularity" - a standalone SC patch - won joint first prize in the LOMUS open-source music software competition. More recently, I have been making synth and control apps for the iPhone. Many of these projects are detailed on http://chrisjeffs.com and http://cylob.blogspot.com.