[microsound-announce] white label 12inch

John David Tressel jdatone at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 17:01:25 EST 2010

what are you interested in knowing and doing?

there are different vinyl formats with different advantages and at different
costs involved.

>From a dub plate(single copy acetate disc) to a "regular" vinyl the costs
and durability are very much worlds apart.

In a regular vinyl pressing the most expensive part of the process is the
mold that will be used to press the vinyls. It's a one off cost good for
several thousand units(I forget how many pressings one can get out of a mold
before it degrades).

There's also different vinyl weights, colours. Both of these things impact
greatly on what the record will be like in the "future", after many many
plays.

any specific questions don't hesitate as this is a very vast subject. There
is no universal rule and output standard in vinyl production.

a rule of thumb is if you don't intend on making less than 300-500 units
it's not reasonable financially.