[microsound-announce] Hans Van Eck - BassBox [Album]

David Newman dwnewman at clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 17 15:42:42 EDT 2009

Hans Van Eck - BassBox [Album]

Audiobulb Recordings

"Audiobulb "are a Sheffield based exploratory electronic record label that
is home to some of the finest purveyors of all things experimental. "Works
supported by Audiobulb often explore the interface between the electronic
and natural world. We embrace the complexity of unique electronics,
intricate acoustics and detailed microsound."

To be honest, in this day and age I will applaud any artists that will try
and explore new realms of sound and rhythm. These artists stick true to
their ideas, that are born from imagination and invention, without trying to
pigeon hole their sound into genres or even worse - trends and fashions.

Hans van Eck is a collaboration between the Schreck Ensemble (as yet I have
not discovered if they are in any way related to the cartoon character) and
sound artist / instrument designer "Hans van Koolwijk" (I have not
discovered, as yet, the wig maker either). The idea is that large bass
speakers are placed inside a "BassBox" which is a cabinet with only two
small holes for letting the air escape. These holes are placed in close
proximity to flutes, so that the vibrations from the speakers cause the
flutes to play, and it is these noises that are recorded.

>From reading this it is probably quite difficult to imagine what the album
actually sounds like. Well it is a mixture of heart arresting tractor like
drones and throbs like on Track One 'Deep Roll,' to the delicate and complex
rhythmic melodies heard on Track Three 'House.'

"BassBox" is never going to appeal to a mass market, but that was never the
point. The experimental music collective is seen as a method of creating
sound that is not only new and distinct but also a sound that has a life of
its own. The creators of "Bassbox" are certainly able to have slight control
over what the overall song sounds like, but I am sure that it is never what
they originally completely intended. This means that the music almost has a
life of its own. A structure that is in harmony with the natural world and a
meaning that is very hard to decipher, yet alone understand.
In the music spectrum there is definitely a place for this sort of
"experiment". Audiobulb Records see and hear a depth to this type of music
that many will not understand.

On "BassBox" there are glimpses as to why and how this music can be so
effective. Intricate flute melodies that seem to build up on themselves,
outlining a driving yet underlying subtle melody which drowns the listener
in delicate, yet complex structures like those in evidence on 'House' and
Track Seven 'Shaken Rhythm.'

When the BassBoxes are used to create the kind of low frequency drones that
make you want to visit the bathroom, I personally, am not so sure. 'Deep
Roll' and Track Two 'Scintillating' are not exactly musical, but remain
effective. Fans of "Noise" and "Drone" music will certainly be interested,
and taking into account that there is little or no "post-recording"
production, bar amplification, the noises and sound-scapes are highly
interesting, if not overtly musical.

All in all, I applaud Hans van Eck's enthusiasm, imagination and drive. Hans
van Eck have stayed true to their ideas and never veered from their distinct
path and that in today's fickle world, must be applauded.

Saturday evening pre party listening though, this is decidedly not.

David Newman

Audiobulb Records

 <http://www.audiobulb.com/> http://www.audiobulb.com

exploratory music