[microsound-announce] MAKING NOISE - why do sounds make sense? Mon 26th Oct

mia k mia.kukathasan at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 23 07:45:59 EDT 2009

*Making Noise - *"Talks, interactive art, electronic sounds, and making" -
featuring Dr Mick Grierson with his computer-brain interface and the band
>From Honey to Ashes with their custom built sound environments using Csound,
MaxMSP & Folley."

*Cafe Scientifique* presents *'Making Noise'*, a FREE night of perceptual
exploration At The Horse Hospital, London.

Join our scientists, artists and musicians as we ask the questions: When
does noise gain meaning? And - Are we nearly cyborgs?
Short talks:
Dr Mick Grierson's demo of his computer brain interface - generating noise
environments from brain waves!
Patrick Degenaar, on visual prosthetics for augmented vision - and the
prospects for bionic eyes
Lauren Stewart on what our brain does with music, and why some people (with
amusia) just don't get it.
Joydeep Bhattacharya on why sounds stir our emotions.
Also:
Strings - an interactive sonic textile installation you can play.
Ongoing junk instrument workshop with Ella & Iain from Shootin' Breeze
and
Electronic music by From Honey to Ashes with their custom built sound
environments http://www.myspace.com/fhta

There will be talks and there will be sounds. Take some in and make your
own!
This events is FREE, and does not require booking but if you're on facebook
it helps us with numbers if you add your attendance
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=156779199146.
The Horse Hospital,
30 Colonnade,
WC1N 1JD.