[microsound-announce] Recruitment for paid participation in an experiment using new music software

Robin Fencott robinfencott at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Jun 22 05:23:05 EDT 2009

Subject: Recruitment for paid participation in an experiment using new
music software

Circular email for use for recruitment of volunteers for study ref
QMREC2009/24, approved by Queen Mary University of London Research
Ethics Committee. This project contributes to the College's role in
conducting research and teaching methods. You are under no obligation
to reply to this email, however if you choose to, participation in
this research is voluntary and you may withdraw at any time.

Hi,

We are recruiting participants for a set of experiments to test a new
collaborative music-making program we are developing. We are looking
for people with an interest in creating music, for instance composers,
musicians, DJs, and students of Music, Music Technology or related
fields. You do not need to know anything about music theory or be able
to play an instrument to take part in the study.

For the experiment, you will work in a small group, and will use
several different versions our software to create some music which
compliments a short animation we will play to you.

The software we have developed is easy to use, and you will receive
some training at the start of the session. Remember, we are interested
in testing the software we have developed, and not your skills as
musicians or composers.

The experiment will be video recorded for analysis purposes, and all
personal data will be anonymised. The experiment will last
approximately 90 minutes, and will be held in room 421 of the Computer
Science department at Queen Mary University of London.

You will be paid £10 in cash for your participation, and you may take
away the music you create.

We are looking to recruit people as soon as possible. Please contact
me if you are interested in taking part, or would like further details.

Regards

Robin Fencott

RobinFencott at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Interaction, Media, and Communication Group
School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
Queen Mary University of London