[Microsound-announce] london headphone festival, 20 september / 24 october

slow sound system info at slowsoundsystem.net
Sat Sep 6 12:30:41 EDT 2008

PLACARD LONDON HEADPHONE FESTIVAL 2008
headphone concerts for headphone people

listen. don’t listen

---------

20 September 2008 / Café Oto, E8
24 October 2008 / Shunt, SE1 (as part of NetAudio Festival)

Bring your own headphones!

----------

Think of a festival in reverse … the London Headphone Festival is
back with two sessions of headphones-only listening. Now in our fifth
year, we leave our spiritual home off Brick Lane for two new venues.
On 20 September we take over beautifully restored warehouse space
Café Oto in Dalston for an all-day listening session. On 24 October,
we move on to the legendary underground space Shunt, deep under
London Bridge, as part of the 4-day NetAudio festival. Placard flips
the concept of a traditional festival: instead of a PA we provide
massed banks of headphone splitters. The audience plugs in and tunes
in. For once, it’s the chance for some focused listening.

Confirmed artists include: Family Battlesnake, Joachim Nordwall,
Pausal, Mandelbrot, slub, Cormac Heron, Brassica, Philip Julian,
Cacao, Birds of Delay, Bleeding Heart Narrative, The Noiser, Simpson
Brothers, Ryan Jordan, London Concrete, Yee-King, Spoonfight, Dylan
Bates, Brandy Alexander Project and Rob Munro. More TBC.

Past artists have included Hot Chip, David Toop, Janek Schaefer,
Leafcutter John, Adem, Max Eastley, Sanso-Xtro, Jem Finer, Icarus,
Main and Colin Potter.

Both venues are fully licensed, and there will be food, merchandise
and other bits and pieces. Please bring your own headphones!

Praise and bafflement for previous festivals:

“A far cry from Glastonbury or Reading” — New Statesman
“Ludicrously straightfaced” — The Guardian
“Freebie of the week” — Time Out
“One of the highlights of a long hot summer” — The Wire
“The only way to understand the most communal musical gathering is to
come along and plug in” — Kultureflash

Brought to you by area10 media lab / highpointlowlife / it is
whatever / [no.signal] / slow sound system / openlab / yaxu.

-----------

Details

Session 1
When: 20 September, 1pm-11pm Where: Café Oto, 18-22 Ashwin St, E8
3DL. info at cafeoto.co.uk Cost: free, £2 suggested donation Map: http://
tinyurl.com/6hcdv7

Session 2
When: 24 October / 7-11pm Where: Shunt, 20 Stainer St, SE1 9RL.
events at shunt.co.uk Cost: £10 Map: http://tinyurl.com/5cxry9

Please bring your own headphones! Quarter inch headphone adaptors
will be available for rent

-----------

Contact

London Placard: http://london.leplacard.org
International Placard site: http://leplacard.org/
NetAudio festival - http://2008.netaudiolondon.cc/festival
Café Oto – http://www.cafeoto.co.uk
Shunt - http://www.shunt.co.uk

-----------

About the Placard Headphone Festival

Le Placard started in 1998 in Paris, France. At that time finding
venues for alternative music was difficult, and police raids on
unlicensed events were frequent. So instead Erik Minkkinen organised
a headphone party in his small apartment, called ‘placard’ after the
French word for ‘cupboard’.

Since then this concept has grown to an international streaming
festival, with tens of cities providing listening rooms for local and
remote performances. Placard has formed part of the Mutek,
Transmediale, Garage and Pixelache festivals. The event in Paris has
itself grown into an institution, running for 72 hours straight where
the audience sleep with their headphones on, still listening.

[ends]

slow sound system
lie down and be counted

e: info at slowsound.net