[Microsound-announce] new work on myspace

mo anatacloc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 17:34:59 EDT 2008

this end of summer and some of the events of the past few months inspired me
to create a simple (but hopefully interesting) work that intends to bring
together the aspects of architecture + sound and spaces that are part of our
environment. I collected a large sample of field recording and then selected
some of the most representative to create the following tracks, which you
can hear on www.myspace.com/massissam  I have also taken a few pictures of
each location where the sounds have been recorded and added them to the page
as well.
Following is a description of each track.
[on myspace you need to raise the volume as the tracks are designed for
headphone listening and the volume is intentionally low]

This is a bit of trip in some very fines locations in the world, so enjoy
it...
-------------------------
"private island" explores the combination of day and night sounds in
open spaces. It was recorded in my garden in Toronto (day)and outside my
house in Northern Italy (night). Sound travels freely with no boundaries.
The listener can hear both far away and close by sounds and their humming
interaction with the open landscapes.

"city of angels" is a reflection of life in Bangkok. A city that counts
close to 15 million people. A city where spaces and sounds offer a wide
array of samples. The track explores the contrast between sound in a very
close space (the elevator in my apartment building) and a semiopen space
(a small temple on one of Bangkok busiest streets). Despite the opennes
of the temple's architecture once inside the temple it is hard to hear the
noisy street nearby.

man made infrastructures interact with mother nature in "acqua". The
idea is to experience how infrastructure (buidings and bridges in this case)

alter natural sounds. The quiteness of NY streets late at night, rain
pouring
on a steel bridge in Japan and a sample from BBC program recorded from
my hotel TV one night in Kyoto are mixed together. This track also intend
to alert the listener to the importance of water and the struggle that
some countries face when it comes to drinkable water.

a combination of high speed, compression, design and the effect of
inside-outside that travellers experience while on a train is the basis
for "kaisoku-bahn". A deliberate word-play to symbolize the
mixing of sound recorded while travelling on the Narita Express train
from Tokyo Airport to Tokyo station and the ICE train from Frankfurt
to Heidelberg in Germany.

"noise in the machine" is designed to help the lister explore another type
of
space. The virtual space we inhabit every day through the use of computers,
phones and  other electronics designed to connect people. Sounds have been
recorded from websites and from a computer farm, where a large number of
computers are housed.
Virtual spaces emit sounds that interact with the real space of the listener
and
provide another sample of soundcapes that our hears and mind percieve.

The sounds to the extent possible have not been treated or altered. They
have been processed through a sampler (NN-XT Advanced Sampler) and with a
equalizer (MClass). In one or two cases I added some basic reverb.

I hope you enjoy the presentation and I would be glad for any comment you
may want to leav on myspace

/mp>