[Microsound-announce] illusion of safety + if, bwana + mecha/orga live

Yves@GMX yves_tk at gmx.net
Thu Apr 3 03:46:04 EDT 2008

concert announcement

So. 06.04.2008
doors: 20.00h, first show starts: 20.30h

aufabwegen presents:
<<<geraeuschwelten>>>

ILLUSION OF SAFETY
(USA, found sounds, objects, broken rhythms, 25th anniversary tour!)
&
IF, BWANA
(USA, between sound poetry and electroacoustics)
&
mecha/orga
(psycho-acoustic drones from Athens/Greece)

studio 672 @ Stadtgarten
Venloer Str. 40, 50672 Koeln
tickets: 10 euros

info:
http://www.geraeuschwelten.de
http://www.aufabwegen.com
http://www.stadtgarten.de

-------------------
Informationen

Illusion Of Safety

Illusion Of Safety intrepidly charts the terra incognita where sound,
silence, noise, and music intersect.  Using conventional instruments, sound
generating devices and random objects, IOS hews sonic sculptures to
deliberately provoke, mesmerize, and affront.
Illusion Of Safety has been the ongoing project of Dan Burke since 1983,
working with numerous individuals in various combinations of one to ten
members. Their work has been continually evolving,
never settling into an easy niche. Each collaborator has brought their own
unique perspective to the project. Since 1991 IOS have released 20 CDs on
various labels such as: Die Stadt, Silent, OddSize,
Staalplaat, Soleilmoon, Manifold, Tesco, Ossosnossos, and Complacency.  At
times their work has been called ambient, post-industrial, electro-acoustic,
electronica, noise, sound collage, improvisation, and
power electronics. Unable to contain their work within one genre, each
release, live performance, and
sometimes individual piece can shift abruptly from one musical atmosphere to
another.
Dan Burke is currently working with electronic synthesis, computer
composition, and manipulation of
historical musical references and highly amplified handled objects.  Burke
uses semi-recognizable
preexisting structural elements and rearrangements of the “language of
 error” to convey external stimuli and personal internal context. The
results are destroyed music, broken sound, disturbed ambience and the quest
for the sublime.

DAN BURKE'S ARTIST STATEMENT:
The work represents not only my internal world but the world as I perceive
it. I work toward truth and often use brutal honesty in mirroring my own
state of mind and what I experience of society and civilization.  The work
represents my interest in the dualities, contradictions, and ironies of the
world, the human condition, and myself. I explore my fascination with the
necessities of balance and the nature of dichotomy: chaos vs. tranquility,
sacred vs. profane, subtleties vs. obviousness, and the ugly vs. an all
pervasive beauty.  My hope is that other people can relate to the work on an
emotional and intuitve
level, while appreciating my aesthetic interest in exploring the inneffible.
I attempt to illiustrate and illuminate psychological processes and
personal/interpersonal relationships. I strive to activate to facilitate a
direct access of emotion, the psyche, and the infinite.
 transcendence

HISTORICAL EXTRACTS
Burke has been experimenting with sound since 1981 being inspired by seeing
the final two performances of Throbbing Gristle.  He began working with
Mitch Enderle soon after  The original formation of IOS
began in 1983 when Burke began working with the avant-rock group Dot Dot Dot
(Thymme Jones, Chris Block, Jef Bek, Rross Feller). This incarnation was
based on free form improvisation. The first live performance of IOS was June
17, 1983. In 1985 Burke also began to work with Mark Klein and
Mark Sorensen. In 1986 Burke and Jones founded their Complacency label in
order to release the work of IOS and Cheer-Accident (Jones' rock group, and
solo music project). The same year, "Its A Dead Dog", the first of 12 IOS
cassettes was released on Complacency.  In 1988, in association with
RRRecords, IOS released their first vinyl LP "More Violence and Geography"
on Complacency.  In mid 1988 Jim O'Rourke began working with IOS. After the
late 1980s, live performers have fluctuated show to show, while tours have
been primarily Burke solo or paired with one other member.  The recordings
have always varied from solo work to full group participation.  In October
of 1992 Burke and O'Rourke recorded "Probe" for release by Staaplaat, as
well as completing the first European IOS tour. During 1993 Burke & Jones
began rehearsing for and embarked on the first U.S. east coast tour by
documented by the Complacency release “From Nothing To Less”.  During
1995-96 performances were given in Chicago with new collaborators including
Kevin Drumm, Ben Vida, Darren Gray, and Jeb Bishop, many of these
characterized by subtle improvisation and quiet passages.  On October 8
1997, Burke returned to the bay area for a  performance/lecture at Mills
College in Oakland, followed by four performances with Thomas
Dimuzio, which were later edited and released on the Sonoris label in France
as "Hz".  Since 2001 there
have been several new tours of Europe, and a number of new releases
including limited edition 7" records
featuring new IOS compositions, the re-issue of "More Violence And
Geography" as a CD and the beautifully packaged "In Opposition to Our
Acceleration" all on the Die Stadt label.  The 20th IOS CD entitled "Time
Remaining" (OssosNossos, UK) was released to coincide with the 20th
anniversary performance on May 24th 2003, presented by the Lampo
organization in Chicago. The newest recorded works since 2003 are "In
Session", a CD to be released by the label Waystyx of Moscow  in January
2008 and a 10" vinyl co-release between C.I.P. and Complacency titled
"Sedation & Quell" (due for release in December 2007).  Dan Burke & Thomas
Dimuzio's second  release "Upcoming Events" is scheduled to be released
February 2008 on the No Fun label of Brooklyn N.Y.C.  Dan is also currently
working on an IOS/Cheer-accident collaboration, an improvisational trio with
Bill Horist & Dave Abramson of Seattle, and new video works (one example of
which can be seen on www.myspace.com/illusionsofsafety) and
European & U.S. tours for the 25th anniversary of IOS during 2008.
www.illusionofsafety.com.

If, Bwana / Al Margolis

Al Margolis
Composer, Musician, Raconteur
Received Meet the Composer grant for performance at Generator in N.Y.C.,
1989
Included on Tellus Compilation # 13
Received write-ups and reviews in The New York Times, Keyboard, The Wire,
The Village Voice and New York Press among others
Founded Sound of Pig Music in 1984, a cassette only label with over 300
releases
Co-founded Pogus Productions in 1989, a record/CD label with releases by
AMM, Rune Lindblad, Robert Rutman, Morphogenesis, Pauline Oliveros, David
Rosenboom, Kenneth Gaburo, Ross Bolleter, among others
Composed music for one soundtrack and contributed music for two other films
by Lorraine Lamas
Participated in French - U.S. simultaneous live music broadcast on WNYC-FM
Toured the United States, Canada and U.K. with various projects including
If, Bwana, Styrene's, and Bwana Dog, among others.

www.pogus.com

MECHA/ORGA

Since 2003, Yiorgis Sakellariou has been using the recording name
Mecha/Orga. So far, he has released 2 CDs and 3 CD-Rs and has performed,
using his laptop, in Greece, The Netherlands, the U.K., France and Germany.

Mecha/Orga is interested in sustained sounds, either
harmonic or noisy, produced by tone generators, acoustic instruments,
feedback or field recordings.
He is very actively involved in the contemporary and experimental music
scene in Greece by running the CD-R label “Echo Music”, being a member of
the Centre Of Contemporary Music Research and the Hellenic Electroacoustic
Composers Assosiation and writing articles about music.

PAST MAJOR PERFORMANCES
·	Salon Bruit (Berlin) October 2007 (also participated: Droise, Minn Minn
Lights)
·	The Red Rose Club (London) November 2006 (also participated: Ilios, Filter
Feeder, Phil Julian/Luke Younger/Bill Kouligas, Entr'acte)
·	Blitzkrieg over Xanthi at the Folk Museum (Xanthi) May 2006 (also
participated: Aux, SFX)
·	La Rotonde De Choc at Espace Jemmapes (Paris) March 2006
·	Worm (Rotterdam) October 2005 (also participated: Lady Cleaners)
·	AudioScoop at the Intro in Situ (Maastricht) October 2005 (also
participated: Noizbleed)
·	Synch Festival at the Technological and Science Park (Laurio) July 2005
·	Masynergy II at the Polytechnic School (Athens) March 2005 (also
participated: Frans De Waard, PS Stamps Back Vs Anal Vissi a.o.)
·	Electrograph 05 at the Benaki Museum (Athens) January 2005 (also
participated: MSBR, Carl Michael Von Hausswolf a.o.)
·	2:13 Festival at the Small Music Theatre (Athens) December 2004 (also
participated: David Toop, Taku Unami, Jean Pallandre a.o.)

DISCOGRAPHY
ALBUMS
·	56:24 Absurd (CD), February 2007
·	Holder Absurd / a question of re_entry (CD-R), March 2006
·	From A Piner Lab for Electroacoustic Media (CD), October 2005
·	A Man Behind The Door echomusic (CD-R), June 2005
·	Float echomusic (CD-R), October 2004
COMPILATIONS
·	Yuria Pop Art, February 2006
·	Urban Folk Songs 1000+1 TiLt Recordings, November 2005
·	Civil Cinder Regalia Tobruk Recs / Ektopia, November 2004
·	Mechanorgy 1000+1 TiLt Recordings, September 2004
·	Loopsmooth - Chapter One Loopsnoo Records, December 2002
www.mecha-orga.com

a u f a b w e g e n
p.o.box 100152
50441 cologne