[Microsound-announce] spnm call for new works

Jack Holloway gt at spnm.org.uk
Wed Oct 31 06:09:55 EDT 2007

The spnm Shortlist 2008: Call for applications

Deadline: Friday 25 January 2008

This is your chance as an emerging composer or sonic artist to set
yourself on the path towards a professional career, build your
profile and work with world-class musicians and artists.

The spnm Shortlist is a group of the UK’s most exciting composers and
sonic artists. To apply, you submit one work, which can be in any
style and for any forces and media. If you’re one of up to 30
composers shortlisted, spnm will offer you performance, professional
development and promotion opportunities for three years.

Anyone born or resident in the UK and Republic of Ireland can apply.

For full details and a downloadable application pack, see
www.spnm.org.uk.

What opportunities will I be offered if I’m selected for the Shortlist?
There will be opportunities to write new works for live performance
events and for installations will offer you the chance to create new
works for performance events, for installations

How do I apply?
To find out much more about the Shortlist, read full details about
how to apply and download an application form, visit www.spnm.org.uk.
Alternatively you can call the spnm office on 020 7407 1640 to
request information by post.

Who can apply?
People of any age, born or resident for 2008-2010 in the UK or the
Republic of Ireland. The only other stipulation is that you must be
willing to take part in projects to create new work if you are
selected for the Shortlist.

How is the music judged?
The music is listened to and read by a panel of experienced
composers, sonic artists, performers and programmers. We are
interested in your music, not your CV, so submissions are assessed
anonymously.

What kind of music is spnm looking for?
We ask the panel of judges simply to select what they feel is the
most exciting new work. We’re not looking for a particular style or
form. Works can be acoustic or electroacoustic, installations or
pieces for live performance. They can be for diffusion, for solo
instruments, chamber forces, orchestra, non-western instruments, for
music theatre group, etc.

For more information, call Shoël Stadlen on 020 7407 1640 or email
shoel at spnm.org.uk.

Best wishes,

Jack Holloway
Graduate Trainee