[Microsound-announce] [playlist] framework - 11.11.07

murmer at talk21.com murmer at talk21.com
Mon Nov 12 12:36:23 EST 2007

framework
broadcasts sundays on resonance104.4fm in london (uk)
or worldwide on http://www.resonancefm.com from 10-11pm gmt

next edition: 18.11.07

~ time zone
converter: http://www.thesaturnv.com/converter.html ~

for general info, playlists,
podcast, or to stream the latest edition: http://www.resonancefm.com/framework

framework
is supported by soundtransit: http://www.soundtransit.nl

RESONANCE FM'S PROGRAMMING IS PRODUCED
ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS; PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE BY MAKING A
DONATION.  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP KEEP
RESONANCE ON THE AIR: HTTP://WWW.RESONANCEFM.COM.  THANK YOU!

framework -
phonography/field recording; contextual and decontextualized sound
activity

presented by patrick mcginley

this edition of framework:afield
was produced in oxford, uk by felicity ford.  for more
information see http://www.littlesongbox.co.uk.  felicity says:

This edition of framework features a range of different approaches to
exploring the domestic soundscape and has been curated by Felicity
 Ford, AKA
the littlesongbox.

http://www.myspace.com/littlesongboxmusic
http://www.littlesongbox.co.uk
http://knitaluscious.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/themissabilityradioshow

This show I hope illustrates some of the issues/ideas/themes around
 domestic
field-recordings. Strategies for capturing our everyday lives with
 sound
range from detailed interviews about daily tasks, as created by Kayla
 Bell
and Claudia Figueiredo for their graduation event - 'Mundane
 Appreciation
Week' - right through to electronically manipulated recordings made
 from
rooms with 'additional effects to make something a bit more
 listenable,'
(Domestic Hiss.)

Many of the recordings found in this selection began life as the sound
element in an installation; Amy Vickery's 'Stairs' was installed in a
 brown
package at the top of her stairs in an exhibition she did in her home,
during her graduating art show. Likewise, her '4 London Road' piece was

originally the soundtrack to a series of still photographs of domestic
locations. Suzanne Williams and Dio Mock made several soundtracks to be

installed in an old Jam Factory in huge mason jars; (the speakers were
immersed in jam.) Although their recordings are largely taken from
 outdoors,
I think the domestic context of the jam jar and the overall comment
 about
the relationships between locale and home make 'Canal Jam' a relevent
inclusion here. And this relates also to the work of John Zeman whose
 piece
'An evening at Home'     was the second piece for the 'What's For
 Dinner?'
exhibit at the Museum of Domestic Design. According to their
 promotional
material 'It depicted the preparation of a meal and the enjoyment  of
 it, in
contrast to its counterpart, which was about the journey  to obtain it.

This piece reflected the warmth and comfort of being  at home, the care
 that
goes into a meal, and enjoyment that comes  from sharing that meal with
 the
ones you love."

This edition of framework also features several excerpts of work from
 Aeron
and Alejandra, (The Lucky Kitchen Label) ranging from the
found-sound/manipulated sound/musical collages of 'The Shed Record' and

'Christmas in the Empire'  to their 'Family Album' in which they asked
people they knew to send in recordings - like sonic snapshots - of
 their
families.

With 'The Shed Record' in particular,  the music/field-recording line
 is
continually blurred, as we hear many moments when Aeron's Grandmother
 is
singing and playing the piano. This confusion about domestic
environment/music will be familiar to anyone who has grown up in an
environment where music practise, piano-playing and other 'musical'
 activity
is part of the soundscape; Joseph Young's 'Family Album' looks at this
 in
more detail, while the Kitchen Sink Dharma recording ' Dusting a Piano'

explores the less glamourous side of growing up with instruments in the

house. The end of a Diane Cluck song is also featured in relation to
 this
point because it is interesting that she has allowed her real life to
 enter
the normally sealed recording environment. The phone rings, she picks
 it up
and stops playing the song. Are we listening to her everyday life or to
 her
song or are they just the same thing?

It is Peter Cusack's recording, however, 'Onions frying in my flat'
 from
'Your Favourite London Sounds' that really needs to be noted here; the
cataloguing of detail from people's everyday lives that underpinned the

whole process of making 'Your Favourite London Sounds' is probably the
 thing
I heard which got me interested in the idea of the domestic soundscape
 in
the first place.

again, we are always
looking for material for the show, whether raw field recordings, field
recording based composition or introduction submissions.  we are also
now accepting proposals for full editions of our guest-curated series.
send proposals or material, released or not, on any format, to the
address below.  if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get
in touch!

framework

bp17

27910 perruel

france

framework at talk21.com

11.11.07

(this edition will be
available online until 18.11.07)

Tracklisting:

Joseph Young - Family Album / Domestic Hiss - Bathroom / Bell &
 Figueiredo -

Mundane Appreciation Interviews

http://www.archive.org/details/JosephYoungTheFamilyAlbum

http://www.archive.org/details/domestic_hiss

http://www.myspace.com/mundaneappreciation

Suzanne Williams & Dio Mock - Canal Jam / Bell & Figueiredo - Mundane

Appreciation Interviews / Felicity Ford (the littlesongbox) - The
 Perfect

Cup of Tea

http://www.myspace.com/majamoxford

Peter Cusack - Onions Frying in my flat / John Zeman - An evening at
 home /

Kitchen Sink Dharma - Cooking Omelettes at home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Cusack

http://isnoone.org/

http://www.archive.org/details/Kitchen_Sink_Dharma

Kitchen Sink Dharma - Nothing cooking / Bell & Figueiredo - Mundane

Appreciation Interviews / Gallagho Kitchen Soundpack - The Freesounds

Project

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu

Peter Cusak - Keys in my door / Joe Young - Family Album / Amy Vickery
 -

Stairs

http://www.myspace.com/amyvickeryartist

Amy Vickery - 4 London Road / Alejandra & Aeron - The Shed Record /
 Domestic

Hiss - Kitchen

http://www.luckykitchen.com/aa_works/aacv.html

Felicity Ford (the littlesongbox) - Washing machine, telephone pickup /

Alejandra & Aeron - The Shed Record  / Kitchen Sink Dharma - Dusting a
 Piano

Joseph Young - Family Album / Alejandra & Aeron - Family Album /
 Alejandra &

Aeron - Christmas in the empire

http://www.fallt.com/empire

Magali Babin - Chuchotement / Felicity Ford (the littlesongbox) -
 Telephone

pick up and telephone / Felicity Ford (the littlesongbox) - The
 Speaking

Clock

http://www.archive.org/details/nta012

http://www.sonus.ca/curators/norman/babin.html

Joceline Colvert - Creaking Floorboards / Alejandra & Aeron - Family
 Album /

Tim Coster - Liz's alarm clock

http://www.myspace.com/timcoster

Diane Cluck  - taking a phonecall halfway through a song!