[Microsound-announce] New reviews & features on Furthernoise.org

Roger Mills roger at eartrumpet.org
Sat Jan 27 07:08:42 EST 2007

Hi Microsounders,

While not everything on Furthernoise.org is in a microsound genre there
are a few in this issue that might be of interest particularly Mark
McLarens feature interview with Toby Butler and Lewis Gibson on their
soundwalks project Memoryscape along the river Thames.

I hope you enjoy the new issue and as always we welcome all feedback,
comments & proposals.

Furthernoise issue January 2007
http://www.furthernoise.org/index.php?iss=60

"Memoryscape with Toby Butler and Lewis Gibson" (feature)
Memoryscape are sound walks that take place at two of the most
contrasting stretches of river in London. DRIFTING begins in the
peaceful surroundings of Hampton Court Palace and DOCKERS ends up in
the rarely explored industrial landscape of the Greenwich peninsula.
Mark Mclaren interviews Toby Butler and Lewis Gibson the artists behind
the work and starts by asking how memoryscape was recorded and
realised.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=150
feature by Mark McLaren

"A little Hungry - The Caution Curves" (review)
Lets cut to the chase?
This may take some time... last thing they did (The Caution Curves CD)
was really a surprise, of the cup of tea brought to you in bed variety,
nice, thoughtful, warm and sweet.
But now I know what to expect... so I shall furrow my brow deeply in a
serious music reviewer frown, grit my jaded teeth, prepare to be
disapointed and insert the disk.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=151
review by Mark Francombe

"Duae - Pablo Reche and Miguel Angel Tolosa" (review)
A collaboration between sound artists Pablo Reche (Buenos Aires) and
Ubebeot (Madrid) which explores "post-industrial landscapes and
isolated urban spaces".
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=157
review by Mark McLaren

"Hades by Marc Behrens and Paulo Raposo" (review)
In Hades Marc Behrens and Paulo Raposo take us on a seafaring journey
to the imaginary underworld, witnessing an old sunken boat being
wrenched from its watery grave gave them the idea to create a sonic
journey towards the shadowy depths.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=154
review by Mark McLaren

"noTnoTesnoTrhyThms by Henry Gwiazda" (review)
In the world of audio technology, 3D sound is often used as a selling
point for all manner of weird and wonderful technologies. To Henry
Gwiazda, however, the promise of "virtual audio" and placing sound in
three-dimension space offers a world of possibilities.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=159
review by Alex Young

"Sprawl London - Featuring Robert Hampson and Simon Longo" (review)
Sprawl - London Sunday 15th December Featuring Robert Hampson and Simon
Longo. Despite the bleak wet Sunday night and collective end of year
lethagy, the snug environs of London's Charterhouse Bar seemed the
perfect setting to warm the cockles with the sonic perambulations of
Simon Longo and Robert Hampson.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=155
review by Roger Mills

"The IfIf - Ollo" (review)
Described as Sydney's own 'Fun Boy 2' Alex Crowfoot and Lars Chresta
aka Ollo have created a electro downbeat tour de force in their new
album The IfIf. Released through Groovescooter in Australia and 12
Apostles in Europe & the USA, this sparkling array of tracks veers
between electro pop, break beat dub & sonic art.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=149
review by Roger Mills

"We All Fall Down - Off The Sky & The Circular Ruins" (review)
Any collaboration between Jason Corder (Off The Sky: samples and loops)
and Anthony Paul Kerby (The Circular Ruins: synths, treatments,
samples) should prove interesting, at the least. Mixing Corder's
quasi-whimsical idiosyncratic pops, clicks, glitch and beats with
Kerby's darker textural ambient landscapes yields many things, but
boring is certainly not on the radar.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=156
review by Bill Binkelman

Roger Mills