[Microsound-announce] Chicago this weekend: installation + radio / webcast performance

Mike Hallenbeck junior at juniorbirdman.com
Mon Feb 26 16:49:55 EST 2007

Hello friends,

I'll be in Chicago this weekend for a couple of events, one of which you
can witness right here on the Internet; please forward this info to anyone
you know in Chicagoland who might be interested.

----------------

INSTALLATION
GeoPhonoBox
March 2 - March 28, 2007
Around the Coyote Gallery
1935 ½ W. North Ave, Chicago IL
Opening Night Reception: Friday, March 2nd, 7-11pm

I think I'll hand things over to the gallery's writeup to explain this one:

"This exhibition will feature sound recordings about 'place' created by
sound artists, nature recordists, ethnographers, composers, pedestrians,
geographers and other practitioners from around the world. Each submission
in the show is to represent one geographic place within the realm of a
cardboard shipping box."

My contribution is a collection called "The Premises", which documents in
audio (and a few photos) the south Minneapolis house I lived in for four
years, and which I'm currently moving out of. Sounds include everything
from mice in the walls to a burning house across the street.

GeoPhono Box is curated by Chicago based visual and sonic artist Zoe Asta
and Associate Professor in the Department of Film, Peck School of the
Arts, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Rob Danielson.

Opening Night Reception: Friday, March 2 from 7-11pm. Stop by and say hi
if you're around.

More info on the installations page of my web site:
http://www.juniorbirdman.com/archive/installations.html

Around the Coyote's GeoPhonoBox page:
http://www.aroundthecoyote.org/gallery/archive/2007_03.asp

----------------

RADIO PERFORMANCE / WEBCAST

"Something Else" radio show
Sunday March 4th
10pm to 2am, WLUW 88.7 FM Chicago
Stream the show online from http://www.wluw.org

While I'm in Chicago this weekend I'll be appearing on "Something Else", a
weekly experimental music radio program produced by Philip von Zweck on
WLUW 88.7 fm. I'll be performing with John Kannenberg; word has it that
we'll each be playing solo as well doing a collaborative set. Tune in if
you're in town, or listen online from the web site.

I'll be using samples from my piece in the Geo Phono Box exhibition (see
above).

More info on this broadcast, plus other stuff I've been up to lately:
http://www.juniorbirdman.com/archive/performances.html

Something Else home page:
http://www.stopgostop.com/somethingelse/

That's it-- see you this weekend maybe!