[Microsound-announce] NYC + St Paul : installations

Mike Hallenbeck junior at juniorbirdman.com
Tue Apr 24 12:54:28 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

Here's some info on two currently running exhibitions featuring sound work
of mine. One is a sound installation in St Paul. The other is not my piece
at all, but an installation in New York by video artist Monika Bravo for
which I provided some audio. Check them out if you're in the Twin Cities
or NYC, and/ or tell friends in these areas if you like. Read on for
details.

In brief:

"Sound Spandrel: MMAA" by Mike Hallenbeck
Minnesota Museum of American Art, St Paul MN
St Paul, MN, April 14 – July 1, 2007
http://www.mmaa.org/Sound_in_Art_Art_in_Sound2.html

"The Vortex" by Monika Bravo
Bryce Wolkowitz Gallery, NYC
April 13 – May 26, 2007
http://www.brycewolkowitz.com

Not-so-brief data follow...

-----------------

ST PAUL, MN
Sound in Art / Art in Sound
Minnesota Museum of American Art
http://www.mmaa.org/Sound_in_Art_Art_in_Sound2.html

>From the press release: "The first exhibition in the Twin Cities to focus
solely on the role of sound in art, this exhibition showcases the many
forms of sound-- as mechanical, temporal, dynamic, collected and altered.
The artwork brings 'noise' from the background of our daily lives to the
foreground of our consciousness; it examines the ways in which we
communicate with each other and with the world around us; it speaks about
place, dialogue, documentation, and humor by transforming perception and
transporting the mind/ body experience."

For this exhibition I assembled an acoustic portrait of the “silent”
gallery space integrating recordings I made both inside and outside the
museum itself, borrowing the architectural concept of the spandrel (the
v-shaped space between two arches). "Sound Spandrel: MMA" is a headphone
installation that foregrounds peripheral and parenthetical sounds.

Sound in Art / Art in Sound
Minnesota Museum of American Art
April 14 – July 1, 2007
Minnesota Public Radio story on the show:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/04/23/soundart/

Featured Artists:
J. Anthony Allen – Minneapolis, MN
Christopher Baker – Minneapolis, MN
Leif Brush – Duluth, MN
Cheryl Wilgren Clyne – St. Paul, MN
Shawn Decker – Evanston, IL
Matthew Garrison – Downingtown, PA
Mike Hallenbeck – Minneapolis, MN
Helena Keeffe – Oakland, CA
Abinadi Meza – Minneapolis, MN
Jack F. X. Pavlik – Minneapolis, MN
Anne Wallace – San Antonio, TX

-----------------

NYC
Natural Circuits
Bryce Wolkowitz Gallery
http://www.brycewolkowitz.com
April 13 – May 26, 2007

Natural Circuits brings together artists who employ a variety of media and
technologies to create innovative aesthetic strategies for fashioning
images and experiences that reflect on how we see the world around us.
Each of the artists shares in employing interactive means to engage the
viewer directly in the reception of the artwork. The artists rework
technologies to shape an intertextual engagement with a variety of
materials in artworks that change as they unfold in time and through
viewer participation.

Ms Bravo describes her piece, "The Vortex", thusly: "Projected against the
wall and reflected in an adjacent mirror, a placid image of a pond appears
double, once triggered by the passing viewer via a hidden interactive
device, a spiraling movement at the center of the screen is generated
creating a turbulence that will quietly transform into calmness within a
certain interval. The object of our perception is not reality in itself
but an illusion of images we have created thus The Vortex is used as a
metaphor to the practice of contemplation as one way to attain a
transformation required to change our distorted reality."

Featured Artists in the "Natural Circuits" exhibition:
Monika Bravo
Paul DeMarinis
Hsin-Chien Huang
Mariano Sardon
Buky Schwartz

The Gallery is located at 601 W 26th Street, Suite 1240, New York, NY. The
Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 11-6.

Thanks for your time!

Best,
Mike Hallenbeck
http://www.juniorbirdman.com/archive