[Microsound-announce] Andrew Duke--Consumer vs. User now available on CD on Phthalo

Andrew Duke andrew at andrew-duke.com
Wed May 24 12:21:46 EDT 2006

I am thrilled to announce that my Consumer vs. User album is out now and
available on CD on California's Phthalo:
http://www.phthalo.com/cat.php?cat=phth40

Phthalo has always been one of my favorite electronic music labels, and
it is a priviledge to be on an imprint with faves of mine including
Phthalocyanine, OST, Kit Clayton, Vladislav Delay, Massaccesi, Mimi +
Boyd (ie Vapourspace and Punisher), Eight Frozen Modules (ie [a]pendics
shuffle), Blectum From Blechdom, and many many more.

Consumer vs. User is rugged and rhythmic and raw, yet detailed and open
and spacious, sort of like a distant cousin of my Sprung album--which
was released on Bip-Hop and went on to be nominated for Album of the
Year (Electronica) at the Canadian Independent Music Awards.  There's
even DJ-friendly material on here, too (some straightforward, some more
adventurous).

This album is mastered by Mark "Vapourspace" Gage, one of my early
techno heroes, and features two collaborations with the USA's Massaccesi
and a remix of a track from the UK's Tristan "Phonopsia" Watkins (a
long-time 313-Detroit mailing-list member).

Here is what Phthalo's Phthalocyanine writes about this album:
"Consumer vs. User is Andrew's first appearance on Phthalo. It is a
focused study, filling out unlikely accent schemes with abstract DSP
techniques. The aesthetic is semi-derived from something reminiscent of
classic Detroit minimal techno (I think of Terrence Dixon, Kevin
Saunderson, and early Plus 8 stuff like the stark, controlled acid bass
stabs of Heinrich Tillack AKA Sysex). I also however hear our label,
Phthalo, embedded in this work, particularly references to the extensive
exploration of heavily processed, raw, beaten-up drum machines given to
us by O.S.T. (Chris Douglas) (e.g. Phthalo#09: O.S.T. Live @ Static) and
Phthalocyanine (e.g. Phthalo#05: Phthalocyanine: Zacks e.p.) in the late
90's. These ideas work here as the point of departure for a music that
is meticulously arranged and much richer in variation than vernacular
minimal techno, though much more 'moderate' than O.S.T.'s work. "

Stay tuned for details on a remix contest that will involve remixing one
of the tracks from Consumer vs. User.  The best remixes will be released
and there may even be some prizes.

Thank you.
Take care.
Andrew