[Microsound-announce] [playlist] framework - 12.05.06

. m u r m e r . murmer at talk21.com
Wed May 17 11:13:01 EDT 2006

framework broadcasts fridays on resonance104.4fm in london (uk) or worldwide on http://www.resonancefm.com from 8-9pm bst, and is repeated sundays from 7-8am bst

http://www.resonancefm.com/framework

next broadcast:    19.05.06
~ time zone converter: http://www.thesaturnv.com/converter.html ~

RESONANCE FM'S PROGRAMMING IS PRODUCED ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS; PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE BY MAKING A DONATION.  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP KEEP RESONANCE ON THE AIR: HTTP://WWW.RESONANCEFM.COM.  THANK YOU!

framework - phonography/field recording; contextual and decontextualized sound activity
presented by patrick mcginley

this week we featured two projects from the bookscapes project curated by platform projects, both featuring uk artist alec finlay.  the first, in collaboration with andrew hodson, is a series of writing and recordings made of and about various styles of dance - we listened to a broad collection of untreated recordings of various solo and group dance pieces, short recordings interspersed between and over the other pieces we listened to.  we also heard finlay's collaboration with framework regular chris watson, a recording of a vocal performance at a harbour on the north sea, a beautiful capture of the harbour soundscape wafting with often faint and distant vocal snatches.  this piece, siren, is due to be released in its final form this.

if you're interested in the bookscapes project, it has come to our attention that there will be a performance and launch party for the series in newcastle on thursday the 25th of may, 7:30pm at the cumberland arms, featuring performances by alec finlay, maria jardardottir and clive powell.  for more information write them at info at platformprojects.org.

we also heard new recordings this week from tim coster, whose curated projects of untreated field recordings on his claudia label we have featured in past editions, new u.s. based composer juan matos capote, an mp3 release from emmanuel mieville, and three out of the four artists featured on the most recent cronica electronica product series cd (we will hear the fourth in an upcoming edition).

our next edition will continue our new framework:afield series, this one curated in the uk by sonic artist felicity ford, weaving a beautiful tapestry of often melancholic, sometimes nostalgic field recordings, musical captures and music boxes.

again, we are always looking for material for the show, whether raw field recordings, field recording based composition or introduction submissions.  send material, released or not, on any format, to the address below.   we are also hoping to have live performances as often as possible, so if you are in or passing through london please get in touch!

framework
31 nevill road
london n16 8sl
uk

framework at talk21.com

12.05.06

this edition will be rebroadcast on sunday, 21.05.06, at 7am bst

artist  /  title  /  album  /  label

framework intro  /  sam semple
recorded in the home of this london based singer-songwriter
http://www.samsemple.com

alec finlay & andrew hodson  /  dt tap (group)
                                           /  dt flamenco (raul calderon, solea por buleria)
                                           /  dt ballet (echappee)
                                           /  dt irish dance (helen driver, heavy reel)
                                           /  dt pilates  /  DtArNaCcEe DmAuNsCiEc  /  platform projects
first collection of untreated dance recordings - the titles say it all
http://www.alecfinlay.com, http://www.platformprojects.org, http://www.dancecity.co.uk

tim coster  /  sms  /  landing  /  half/theory
deep and warm resonances swarm around a collection of organic scrapings and tinklings
http://www.halftheory.com

alec finlay & andrew hodson  /  dt contemporary (dora frankel group)  /  DtArNaCcEe DmAuNsCiEc  /  platform projects
http://www.alecfinlay.com, http://www.platformprojects.org, http://www.dancecity.co.uk

pawel grabowski  /  but i'm not  /  product 06 /  cronica
a long slow developing cloud of reversed found sounds, tones, and voices for his portion of this cronica disc
http://www.pawelgrabowski.com, http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

alec finlay & andrew hodson  /  dt contemporary (simon birch)
                                           /  dt boyz only freestyle (group)
                                           /  dt salsa (solo)
                                           /  dt capoeira (group)  /  DtArNaCcEe DmAuNsCiEc  /  platform projects
http://www.alecfinlay.com, http://www.platformprojects.org, http://www.dancecity.co.uk

alec finlay & chris watson  /  siren  /  siren  /  platform projects
the intense swell of harbour, seabirds, and distant swirling voices
http://www.alecfinlay.com, http://www.chriswatson.net, http://www.platformprojects.org

juan matos capote  /  from the series 'the subway aural recordings'  /  -  /  -
manipulated and collages collection of sounds from the new york city subway system
jmatoscapote at earthlink.net

alec finlay & andrew hodson  /  dt ballet (grand jete)  /  DtArNaCcEe DmAuNsCiEc  /  platform projects
http://www.alecfinlay.com, http://www.platformprojects.org, http://www.dancecity.co.uk

tim coster  /  inaccurate  /  landing  /  half/theory
short looping collage of pouring and pooling rain
http://www.halftheory.com

alec finlay & andrew hodson  /  dt argentine tango
                                           /  dt frantic (group)   /  DtArNaCcEe DmAuNsCiEc  /  platform projects
http://www.alecfinlay.com, http://www.platformprojects.org, http://www.dancecity.co.uk

emmanuel mieville  /  doppel ganger  /  magnetic fields and shrouded organic flux  /  ctrlaltcanc
another sampling of mieville's beautiful organically textural composition, free from this italian mp3 label
http://emieville.free.fr, http://www.ctrlaltcanc.tk

alec finlay & andrew hodson  /  dt contemporary (group, bison)
                                           /  dt contemporary (fathom project, improvisation)
                                           /  dt street jazz (group)
                                           /  dt mania (senior youth group)  /  DtArNaCcEe DmAuNsCiEc  /  platform projects
http://www.alecfinlay.com, http://www.platformprojects.org, http://www.dancecity.co.uk

james eck rippie & paulo raposo  /  natureza morta  /  product 06  /  cronica
american/portuguese collaboration, floating microtones and macrotextures
http://www.sirr-ecords.com/pauloraposo, http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

tim coster  /  inland sea  /  landing  /  half/theory
mechanical hum, leaf-like scrapings, and wooden knocks
http://www.halftheory.com

alec finlay & andrew hodson  /  dt contemporary (laura pedersen)  /  DtArNaCcEe DmAuNsCiEc  /  platform projects
one last burst...
http://www.alecfinlay.com, http://www.platformprojects.org, http://www.dancecity.co.uk

framework intro submissions:

1)    take yourself and an audio recording device to a location of your choice
2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
3)    read the following text:

welcome to framework.

framework is a show consecrated to field recording, and it's use in composition.
field recording, phonography, the art of sound-hunting; open your ears and listen!

4)    continue your recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after you've finish speaking
5)    send the recording on any format to the address above, or as an mp3 via email

thanks!