[Microsound-announce] Thinkbox: Archive/ May 13-Jun 30 (Canada)

Mark Laliberte obscure at marklaliberte.com
Thu May 11 01:46:57 EDT 2006

THINKBOX ANNOUNCEMENT:
------------------------------

Thinkbox: Archive /
@ Art Gallery of Windsor
- Dates: May 13 - June 30, 2006
- Reception: Friday May 12, 8pm (also the reception for Winnipeg sound
artist Ken Gregory's "Cheap Meat Dreams and Acorns" show)
- Performance Event: June 30, 8pm

/// Mark Laliberte here... just a quick note re: the upcoming large-scale
exhibition 'Archive', featuring all current members of Thinkbox, opening
at the Art Gallery of Windsor (Canada)... I have about 5 proper artworks
in the exhibit, including a large-scale projection; a neon work mounted on
aluminum created in 1998; and also a display case full of related
'collective' ephemera as a tracing of our history. The other collective
members have been busy as well, each displaying a few works for this
exhibition (some of which are described on the gallery info sheet, link
attached a little further on in the email). This is a really big show,
both spacially and from a technological perspective, utilizing about 10
ipod players (each member of the collective, for example, has created a
listening station of about 2 hours worth of their compositions, sonic
works, and live performance excerpts), 2 video projectors, several
monitors, these weird CD players that a company called 'Muji'creates, a
bunch of wafer-thin backlit photographs (powered by really cool flat LCD
screens, a lovely find); etc.

.........Official gallery exhibition information sheet downloadable here:
http://www.artgalleryofwindsor.com/documents/page5.pdf

.........We haven't taken installation shots yet, but here's a peek at my
work 'Overnight' (2003), installed in the stairwell at the Art Gallery of
Windsor, with a lovely view of the Detroit skyline in the background:
http://www.thinkbox.ca/agw-overnight.html

.........and here's a link to some "behind-the-scenes shots" of the
massive 2nd floor space (just after conceptual art forefather Iain
Baxter's amazing retrospective show was stripped away) and while the space
was being prepped to receive our works (we've requested some painting,
wall manipulations, etc)...
http://www.thinkbox.ca/agw-install.html

-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

Thinkbox is a project-based collective exploring material and technique to
produce works that develop complex questions to simplified answers about
art, technology, and the nature of multimedia creation. Thinkbox
intersects with mass culture through a variety of initiatives ranging from
gallery installations, performances, and the release of audio/video
products. 'Archive' brings together the latest sound and visual works by
the six-member core of Thinkbox, which consists of Christopher
Bissonnette, Mark Laliberte, Chris McNamara, Steve Roy, Rob Theakston and
Bill Van Loo.

Thinkbox: 'Archive' will feature ongoing documentation in the form of a
new CD release and a full-colour, scholarly catalogue produced in
collaboration with the Thames Art Gallery in Chatham, ON.