[Microsound-announce] nvo_007 - new release out now!

Heribert Friedl heribert.friedl at aon.at
Sat May 6 08:06:08 EDT 2006

dear microsound-community!

PRESS RELEASE

NVO 007

Tomas Phillips/Dean King

Á TRAVERS LE BORD

The product of a definite convergence of ideas as well as my own nascent french, the title Á Travers le Bord can be interpreted
as both a 'crossing through' a material edge or border and a liminal move from exterior to interior, or vice versa, in terms of, for
example, flesh, or more generally, selfhood. A happy accident. Though I would never presume to attribute any central meaning
to music, such border crossings are a constant in my life and most likely inform my composition process as it unfolds in front of
the laptop, moving or being still, listening, inside or out. It's a delightful paradox, the ongoing flux that finds its faithful correlate
in the pull towards a relative silence and calm. Also delightful was my good friend and collaborator Dean King's willingness to
contribute sound material for this piece, in addition to a much needed critical ear. After a few limited edition cd-r releases as Eto
Ami, we were due a joint project. Many of these sounds I processed further and set about composing - a long and sometimes
arduous course that prompted its own numerous excursions through borders. Most importantly, however, I was reminded of the
pleasures of camaraderie, even at a distance.

The duo of Dean King and Tomas Phillips came together as Eto Ami in 2000 with the mere intention of exploring a shared
aesthetic. This partnership soon developed a trajectory of its own, however, compelling us to push the compositional process
towards further levels of refinement and performative dexterity. What this continues to mean for us is the achievement of
a balance between digital and non-digital sound and a functional recognition of their differences in terms of utility and
signification. Whilst computer technology remains central to our work, we make an effort to locate composition within a space
of physicality, a space in which the composing subject(s) is allowed to "become," in the language of Deleuze, alongside the
relative self-sufficiency of software. Hence our use of acoustic instrumentation and field recordings gathered on the periphery
of laptops. By extension, we seek to foreground the act of listening (as composers and audience alike) in the slowly evolvingtradition of microsound, without precluding the possibility of active and engaged harmony.

Tomas Phillips

Following his critically acclaimed release on Trente Oiseaux (ON DIT, 2003) and other collaboration works with Tobias C. van Veen
(and/OAR, 2005) and I8U (Petite Sono, 2006) we are proud to release this beautiful, fresh piece by Tomas Phillips and Dean King.
The cd will be released as a limited edition of 300 numbered copies.

Available now at our online shop at www.nonvisualobjects.com/label

For further information please visit www.nonvisualobjects.com
or contact us directly at label at nonvisualobjects.com

all the best,

Heribert Friedl, Raphael Moser

out!

NVO_001 | Steve Roden | oder delias or butterflies
NVO_002 | Roel Meelkop | >momentum<
NVO_003 | Heribert Friedl | bradycard
NVO_004 | Garet/Lloyd/Smolders/Ubeboet | territorium
NVO_005 | Richard Chartier | tracing

www.nonvisualobjects.com