[Microsound-announce] Pure Data workshop + "resonanCITY" live cinema performance: Portland OR USA March 28, 29, 30

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Mar 15 02:02:22 EST 2006

Pure Data workshop + "resonanCITY" live cinema performance
Apotheke
Portland Oregon USA
March 28,29,30

Apotheke is hosting a multi-faceted audio/video event at the end of this
month.

1) "resonanCITY" live cinema performance
Tuesday March 28, 9 pm

+

2) Pure Data Workshop for Sound and Vision
Wednesday March 29 - Thursday March 30, 1-5 pm

Details>>

1) "resonanCITY" live cinema performance
Tuesday March 28, 9 pm

resonanCITY is a live cinema performance by Sara Kolster (NL, 1978) and
Derek Holzer (USA, 1972). It has been performed live in the USA, Canada,
Holland, Brazil, Poland, Serbia, the Baltic States and at the
Transmediale 05 festival in Berlin. Their Portland date is part of a
limited North American engagement.

Both Sara and Derek find inspiration in the history of experimental
cinema and electroacoustic music, as well as in contemporary video and
microsound practices, and a variety of live sources such as photographic
film and found objects are used to generate the visions and sounds.

Kolster and Holzer also reject the use of common, commercial production
methods and the default, commercial artworks that these methods often
produce, preferring instead to program their own software, build their
own hardware interfaces and actively participate in the free and open
source communities which surround these activities.They also explore
contemporary ideas about "Live Cinema" and demonstrate the principles
and tools explained during their Pure Data workshops.

This evening will also feature improvisational audio and video from
local artists Zachary Reno, Seth Nehil, and Rob Tyler, among others.

Cost is $5 at the door, starts around 9pm.

2) Pure Data Workshop for Sound and Vision
Wednesday March 29 - Thursday March 30, 1-5 pm

A workshop on Pure Data, GEM and PDP for sound and video artists.

Pure Data is a free and open source software, a modular and
object-oriented programming environment geared towards manipulation and
synthesis of both audio and video. It is similar to the commercial
package "Max/MSP" , and can be used on Linux, Mac OSX and Windows.

Participants will learn the basic "grammar" and "vocabulary" of Pure
Data, GEM and PDP, upon which objects for sound, 3D and video will be
added. Emphasis will be placed on direct connections between sound and
image through three different methods: influence of sound on image,
influence of image on sound and the use of common "control data" for
both image and sound.

The workshop spans two days, and is geared as a ground-up introduction
and interface between the programming environment and artist. Attendance
of the first day is a prerequisite for the second day, since information
and concepts introduced in the beginning of the workshop will be used
later on.

Students will also be required to bring their own computer, however PD
software will be provided, for either Linux, Mac OS 10.3/4 or Windows.
(With the exception of PDP, which is not available for Windows.)

The workshop starts at 1pm each day, and should last about four hours.

Registration costs $75, or $50 with a Student ID. You can sign up at
Apotheke, payment will be required to hold a spot. Sign up early, as
space is limited.

Full schedule info is tagged to the end of this release, and can also be
found at the venue's website, http://www.apotheke-nw.com.

-

More information on both of these events, and about some of the artists
involved, can be found on these websites:

http://www.umatic.nl
http://www.sarako.net

http://www.onomato.org
http://sethnehil.artdocuments.org/
http://www.vcr100.com

Thanks! Hope to see you there.

Apotheke
1314 NW Glisan St., #2a .
503.241.7866

www.apotheke-nw.com

******

Workshop Schedule >>

DAY ONE: BASICS & AUDIO

Installation Clinic.

The first part of the workshop will be devoted to installing Pure Data,
GEM, PDP and several other externals on the participants' computers. For
PD and GEM, Mac OSX, Windows and most Linux distributions can be
accommodated. Please note that PDP is NOT available for Windows, and
only runs on Linux or OSX 10.3/4!

Pure Data as a Language.

Like learning any new language, PD starts with learning vocabulary and
grammar. In this case, we will learn the names of many common objects
and the syntax of how to use them, in a clear "Geek-to-English"
translation which makes the complex data-flow operations of PD
understandable to non-programmers.

Pure Data for Sound Synthesis.

PD has powerful signal-processing abilities, and we will explore these
by building a simple, monophonic synthesizer controllable from either a
MIDI device or from the keyboard of your computer. Different types of
sound synthesis, such as Additive, Subtractive, Amplitude Modulation,
Frequency Modulation and Wavetable Synthesis will be covered, along with
the use of filters and delays for a variety of effects.

Pure Data for Sample Manipulation.

Because PD uses a range of very basic building-blocks to store and
playback sampled sound, a wide range of manipulations are possible.
Here, we will explore pitchshifting, time stretching, looping and basic
granular synthesis. Other uses of data stored in tables for control
purposes will also be touched on.

DAY TWO: VIDEO & CROSS-SYNTHESIS.

Pure Data for 3D: GEM.

GEM is an external library used in PD for moving 3D graphics under the
OpenGL protocol. It is also an ideal environment for VJ mixing. We will
explore how to create and manipulate simple 3D objects, how to texture
them with images, how to playback and mix video clips in GEM and how to
use a live camera input.

Pure Data for Video: PDP.

PDP (Pure Data Packet) is used primarily for video playback and effects
filters. We will investigate PDP for direct video synthesis, for the
playback and mixing of (audio)visual clips and for the processing of a
live camera input. PDP includes several tools for the analysis of video
for movement, change and color, which in turn can be used to control
sound playback and other events in PD.

Pure Data for Audio Analysis.

We continue our investigation of the audio side of Pure Data by looking
at different methods of analyzing sound signals for pitch and amplitude
information. The data we extract from the audio can be used to either
(re)synthesize new sounds or to control 3D or video graphics manipulations.

Pure Data for Cross-Synthesis.

Combining what we have learned so far about sound and image in PD, we'll
explore the interrelation of sound and image in three ways: the analysis
of sound to control video (PD-->GEM/PDP), the analysis of video to
control sound (PDP-->PD) and the use of data to simultaneously control
sound and image (PD, GEM, PDP).

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 73: