[Microsound-announce] darmstadt wednesday, monkeytown tuesday

zach layton zachlayton at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 20:33:43 EDT 2006

Hey...Sorry for all the email recently...I'm sure you're probably sick of
it by now, but if you made it to BAP on saturday, hopefully it was worth
it...it was really a wonderful event and I want to thank everyone involved
and everyone who came and experienced it all with us.

This week there are two events I'll be involved with that I hope you can
make it to:

Wednesday, July 26th, 8pm, free at galapagos (70 n6th street, bklyn)

Darmstadt "Classics of the Avant Garde" presents: Jennifer Choi

Jennifer Choi has charted a career that breaks through the conventional
boundaries of solo violin, chamber music, and the art of creative
improvisation.  Called "one of New York's most reliably adventurous
performers" by Time Out New York magazine, Jennifer brings to Galapagos a
program of solo works by Giacinto Scelsi, John Zorn's mind boggling
'Goetia', a work of immense virtostic intensity, Mario Davidovsky's
classic Synchronism No. 9, and her own improvisations for violin and
electronics with Zach Layton.

and Tuesday, July 25th, Monkeytown presents muX

http://www.monkeytownhq.com/muxjuly.html

Tuesday, July 25
Admission: $7
doortime: 8pm (one show only)
reservations are recommended

(I'll be involved in the 10pm set, making music with my brainwaves)

8:30pm
Roomiks Cube is a multichannel panoramic A/V performance. Part of the
ongoing MUX A/V series, this rare event is a collaborative effort between
live video performance artists C-TRL Labs and NY based electronic composer
Caural. Specially tailored to Monkey Town's minimalist cubic interior,
C-TRL will utilize motion graphics, 3D and realtime software (Modul8 and
Max/MSP Jitter) to create an environmental extension to the existing
architectural space. Caural sets the tone w/ flowing abstract compositions
in a rich sonic space. The audience will be immersed in a whirl of
architectural landscapes and organic forms and tones in both performers
playfull experimental styles.

10pm
r.b.w. is an ongoing live audiovisual set associated with colors, shapes
and forms.
The set consists of 3 abstract live visuals that associate three primary
color states; red, blue and white. Based on chromotherapy studies,
specific colors bring balance to our physical and emotional systems. Each
selected set of three colors(as samples) brings different stimulations and
effects. The intention is to investigate how color in motion can alter
mood or emotional states similar to music; what certain music has the
power to do so. Music and sound when pursued with this approach should
elevate combination beyond and besides status quo. This is the potential
of what can be experienced when visual and sound are combined in a live
media experiment with psychophysical approach. The set will be presented
with live EEG (Electroencephalograph) generated sound.

After the show, there will be a brief Q&A with audiences.

www.zachlaytonindustries.com