[Microsound-announce] [blog] Rafael Toral + Southwestern Desolation

derek holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sat Dec 23 18:42:57 EST 2006

*New Blog Posted*

http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista

*Rafael Toral on the "Space Program"*

Rafael Toral's Space CD is one of the most compelling works of improvised
electronic music I've heard this year. It is just as sparse and stripped
down as it is filled with very rich sounds whose sources and performance
techniques are quite surprising. Toral himself asks that the listeners
approach the Space recordings "without prejudice". At the same time, his
video documentation does a great deal in showing the work's origins in a
live, improvised performance setting.

In anticipation of Toral's appearance at Club Transmediale in Berlin at
the end of next January with the Sei Miguel Ensemble, I sent him a few
questions about the development of his new works...

*Southwestern Desolation: Marfa TX*

Me and my Thomas Pynchon novel have holed up in the Southwestern Texas
city of Marfa, home to unexplained light phenomenon and the world's
largest collection of Donald Judd and other canonical minimalist artists.
Barren could be an understatement when describing the surrounding
landscape...

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 79: