[Microsound-announce] [playlist] framework - 09.09.05

. m u r m e r . murmer at talk21.com
Mon Sep 12 15:00:31 EDT 2005

framework broadcasts live every friday (except the first one of each month) on resonance104.4fm  in london (uk) or worldwide on http://www.resonancefm.com between 8:30 and 9:30pm bst, and is repeated the following wednesday between 11:00am and 12:00 noon bst

http://www.resonancefm.com/framework

next broadcast: 16.09.05
~ time zone converter: http://www.thesaturnv.com/converter.html

RESONANCE FM'S PROGRAMMING IS PRODUCED ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS; PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE BY MAKING A DONATION.  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP KEEP RESONANCE ON THE AIR: HTTP://WWW.RESONANCEFM.COM.  THANK YOU!

framework - phonography/field recording; contextual and decontextualized sound activity
presented by patrick mcginley

well folks, we are finally back in the studio after a long, long time away - i hope you enjoyed your chance to hear so many of the framework:focus programs again during our summer repeat schedule, but i hope as well that you're as pleased as we are to be back with these piles of new material.  this week we started the long task of getting through them - in fact we didn't even quite catch up with what was waiting to be played before we left!  we framed our show with a fantastic new piece (in fact a work-in-progress, he informs us) by chris watson - a stereo mix-down of a quadruple hydrophone array recording the surf in tortuga bay on the galapagos islands.  from within this bay we sampled sounds from meri von kleinsmid, joe colley, jim hoult and a glorious project from a few years back by doug haire - nineteen american waysides features location recordings of america's lost highways, in which are installed bizarre distant manipulations of old 78 rpm records, wafting by in the distance, amongst the rumble of traffic or insects.  this really is a beautiful example of themed phonography - check it out!

we also featured a framework intro recorded during our travels by estonian ceramic and installation artist mariliin kindsiko - now, there were many more of you we met out there who promised intros, don't think we've forgotten!  we'll be looking out for them in the post soon...

again, we are always looking for material for the show, whether raw field recordings, field recording based composition or introduction submissions.  send material, released or not, on any format, to the address below.   we are also hoping to have live performances as often as possible, so if you are in or passing through london please get in touch!

framework
31 nevill road
london n16 8sl
uk

framework at talk21.com

09.09.05

this edition will be rebroadcast this wednesday, 14.09.05, at 11:00am bst

(artist  /  title  /  album  /  label)

mariliin kindsiko  /  framework intro
recorded in an estonian forest while mushroom picking in a light rain
kindsikom at art.tartu.ee

doug haire  /  tarkio, mt 3:30am/sumatra, mt 2pm  /  nineteen american waysides  /  anomalous
two clattering engines weave while a disembodied voice wanders in the distance...
http://www.doughaire.com

joe colley  /  future screaming  /  psychic stress soundtracks  /  antifrost
circuit glitches and found sounds build to a pulsating crescendo
joecolley at yahoo.com

chris watson  /  tortuga bay  /  -  /  -
in the midst of a massive surround seascape
http://www.chriswatson.net

doug haire  /  i-15s at id/ut border 4pm  /  nineteen american waysides  /  anomalous
trafficless midday roadside - we're left only with the insects and the odd 78 additions...
http://www.doughaire.com

jim hoult  /  wave organ  /  -  /  -
beautifully minimal reverberations of waves captured by enclosed space
jimbroosia at yahoo.co.uk

meri von kleinsmid  /  the rats in the walls  /  ex vivo  /  mimeograph
if these are rats they can have the walls, and the ceiling and floor as well
http://www.latibulum.com/mvk

doug haire  /  myrtle beach, sc midnight/abilene, ks sundown  /  nineteen american waysides  /  anomalous
whistling harmonics make way for singing traffic and wildlife
http://www.doughaire.com

meri von kleinsmid  /  ethereal tether  /  ex vivo  /  mimeograph
dense rumble of birds, a tin can 1/4 full of water, traffic and voice
http://www.latibulum.com/mvk

joe colley  /  all of us are monsters and all of us think the others are monsters  /  psychic stress soundtracks  /  antifrost
a bass rumble is agitated by a metallic squeak until it cracks
joecolley at yahoo.com

doug haire  /  alto, tn midnight/melstone, mt 2:30pm  /  nineteen american waysides  /  anomalous
one last sampling of swirling roadside ghosts...
http://www.doughaire.com

chris watson  /  tortuga bay  /  -  /  -
...brings us back to the sea
http://www.chriswatson.net

framework intro submissions:

1)    take yourself and an audio recording device to a location of your choice
2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
3)    read the following text:

welcome to framework.

framework is a show consecrated to field recording, and it's use in composition.
field recording, phonography, the art of sound-hunting; open your ears and listen!

4)    continue your recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after you've finish speaking
5)    send the recording on any format to the address above, or as an mp3 via email

thanks!