[Microsound-announce] [playlist] framework - 20.05.05

. m u r m e r . murmer at talk21.com
Mon May 23 16:39:53 EDT 2005

framework broadcasts live every friday (except the first one of each month) on resonance104.4fm  in london (uk) or worldwide on http://www.resonancefm.com between 8:30 and 9:30pm bst, and is repeated the following wednesday between 11:00am and 12:00 noon bst

next live broadcast: 27.05.05
~ time zone converter: http://www.thesaturnv.com/converter.html

RESONANCE FM'S PROGRAMMING IS PRODUCED ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS; PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE BY MAKING A DONATION.  CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN HELP KEEP RESONANCE ON THE AIR: HTTP://WWW.RESONANCEFM.COM.  THANK YOU!

framework - phonography/field recording; contextual and decontextualized sound activity
presented by patrick mcginley

many fine surprises in this edition, among them a superb new release by thomas ekelund, aka dead voices spell out dead words, on the con-v label, a great and, for me, newly discovered release by justin bennett from 1998, and some eerie icy sounds from one of framework's newly made hungarian contacts.  we started of this show with a track of twisted broken organ playing in the first sample of the providence, ri, based cdr label free matter for the blind.  this was preceded by yet another excellent intro recorded by our very own adam wimbush.  intros have been slow to come in of late (except for adam and his unknown - to adam, that is - co-conspirator keith de mendonca, who've been carrying the torch for me together for awhile now), so: DO IT!  NOW!  go get a microphone, a dictaphone, a tape recorder, dat, md, whatever you please, and record a framework intro!  the guidelines are below - now i will sit back and wait for the tapes/discs/mp3s to come rolling in...

next week's program is not to me missed: the may edition of framework:focus features aaron ximm's (aka the quiet american) one minute vacations project - amid a soundscape of, yes, you guessed it, 60 vacations from the past 3 1/2 years, we hear aaron's thoughts on the project, it's conception, and the phonographic arts in general (as well as the clinking of the ice cubes in his scotch - now i, personally, wouldn't recommend ice in a laphroaig, aaron!  ; )    for more info on aaron's work and one minute vacations, see http://www.quietamerican.org, and click on the hollow flag.

again, we are always looking for material for the show, whether raw field recordings, field recording based composition or introduction submissions.  send material, released or not, on any format, to the address below.   we are also hoping to have live performances as often as possible, so if you are in or passing through london please get in touch!

framework
31 nevill road
london n16 8sl
uk

framework at talk21.com

20.05.05
this edition will be rebroadcast this wednesday, 25.05.05, at 11:00am bst

(artist  /  title  /  album  /  label)

adam wimbush  /  framework intro
recorded in a very peculiar elevator in a hotel in sharm el shiek in egypt
ascsoms at yahoo.co.uk

mudboy  /  salitron wave  /  this is folk music  /  free matter for the blind
bizarre homegrown waves of environmental sound and malfunctioning organ
http://www.mudboymusic.com, http://www.freematterfortheblind.com

jeph jerman  /  air conditioning unit  /  -  /  -
percussive symphony of rattles, clicks, hums and whirrs
http://www.kaon.org/jeph_jerman, http://www.davidstanford.com/jerman

justin bennett  /  panorama
                        stof           /  demolitions  /  spore
spectacular sonic degradations of wide capturing sonic environments
http://www.bmbcon.demon.nl

dead letters spell out dead words  /  track 1  /  no words  /  con-v
raw but emotive workings of bass rumbles and clicks and clacks that appear to be a purring cat enjoying a meal
http://www.deadwords.org, http://www.con-v.org

justin bennett  /  demolition
                        shelter       /  demolitions  /  spore
more disintegrating locations, leading us to the warmth of this work's closing
http://www.bmbcon.demon.nl

henrik hargitai  /  1  /  -  /  -
frozen sounds as ice sheets pass above and below one another on a hungarian lake
http://emc.elte.hu/~hargitai

keith de mendonca  /  longplayer, remembered  /  -  /  -
part of the remix project of jem finer's longplayer project, reworked with recordings of big ben
http://www.dismbody.demon.co.uk/home.html, http://www,longplayer.org

henrik hargitai  /  2  /  -  /  -
hunting more elusive icy sounds, an incredible bassy twang that appears when least expected
http://emc.elte.hu/~hargitai

dead letters spell out dead words  /  track 3
                                                    track 4
                                                    track 5  /
further evocative segments from this single long rumbling soundscape of familiar fragments
http://www.deadwords.org, http://www.con-v.org

emmanuel mieville  /  mort de la phalene  /  flutter soundscapes  /  -
long tidal composition of nearly untreated watery sounds
http://emiville.free.fr

framework intro submissions:

1)    take yourself and an audio recording device to a location of your choice
2)    record for AT LEAST 1 minute before you -
3)    read the following text:

welcome to framework.

framework is a show consecrated to field recording, and it's use in composition.
field recording, phonography, the art of sound-hunting; open your ears and listen!

4)    continue your recording for AT LEAST 2 minutes after you've finish speaking
5)    send the recording on any format to the address above, or as an mp3 via email

thanks!