[Microsound-announce] fwd: [Crónica] mail 027, 19.05.2005

stephan mathieu sssst at musork.com
Thu May 19 14:44:46 EDT 2005

heres an announcement from cronica
www.cronicaelectronica.org

best wishes
 - stephan

--

Date: 19.05.2005 19:00 Uhr
From: list at cronicaelectronica.org (Cronica)

CRÓNICA MAIL 027
19.05.2005
http://www.cronicaelectronica.org

01 - Now Available: Essays on Radio volume one CD
02 - Also Available: Essays on Radio volume two DVD
03 - Crónicaster
04 - Upcoming Performances
05 - Buy Crónica from Crónica

Now Available:
Essays on Radio:  Can I have 2 minutes of your time?
Crónica 020~2005 CD

Our second anniversary compilation is now available. Crónica 020~2005 CD, the compilation volume one of two, features compositions by: @c, Heitor Alvelos, Antmanuv, Gilles Aubry, Autodigest, The Beautiful Schizophonic, Heimir Björgúlfsson & Jonas Ohlsson, Boca Raton, Cáncer, Miguel Carvalhais, Lawrence English, Christine Fowler, Freiband, Ákos Garai, General Magic, Pawel Grabowski, John Hudak, Vitor Joaquim, Gintas K, Longina, Luis Marte, Stephan Mathieu, o.blaat, Ok.Suitcase, Pal, Pimmon, Jörg Piringer, Pita, Pure, Random Industries, Paulo Raposo, Pablo Reche, James Eck Rippie, Sumugan Sivanesan & Nick Dan, Ran Slavin, Steinbrüchel, tilia, Pedro Tudela, Durán Vázquez.

If you're not already familiar with the compilation working frame, Essays on Radio aims to comment on the sound medium, on the technology and the culture of Radio.

In the midst of media saturation, Radio can easily end by being an overlooked medium, not only due to its lower visibility compared to most mainstream media but mostly because it is an un-visual medium. It is also one of the longer standing and of the oldest electronic media that is still alive, so the novelty factor is not a help.

Radio was the first broadcast medium, as well as the first that was sound-specific and intangible. Historically, Radio was the primary responsible for an awareness of sound that went beyond the strict scope of music.

Radio is a saturated live medium, where much happens simultaneously. Having little or no control about the sources and the interferences during broadcast and reception turns Radio into a medium where we can easily and objectively experience Noise. Therefore, it was probably through Radio that many first heard white noise. It was probably with a radio receiver that many first modulated noise as it was probably through Radio that we experienced randomness along with the lack of control and indeterminacy.

This theme was intended to provide the artists with a starting point to approach the work. Unlike we did in the previous compilation, there would be no audio sources provided to the artists beforehand. In this release, what we were looking for were not exercises on composing from shaping any given sound matter but rather on relating the musical pieces to this particular context: Radio.

As a further way to coherently organize the CD, we asked all the artists to produce the pieces with a fixed duration. This symbolic length allowed us to fit work from some of the artists we released so far and a few selected guests and it also served as a strong structure binding all the compositions together. Given the fact that we are closing the 2nd year of Crónica releases, we proposed that all tracks should have the fixed duration of 2 minutes, exactly.

Therefore the sub-title: Can I have two minutes of your time?

Also Available:
Essays on Radio:  Can I have 2 minutes of your time?
Crónica 021~2005 DVD

The volume two of our second anniversary compilation is also available. Crónica 021~2005, a NTSC - Region free DVD, features video work from some of our artists and some special guests, commissioned for this compilation.

On our first DVD you will find video work by: Isabel Abreu & Rita Barbosa, Antmanuv, Erich Berger, Brigitta Bödenauer, Júlio Dolbeth, Tina Frank, Horacio G, Maximilian Jänicke, Karl Kliem, Sara Kolster, Jan Robert Leegte, Lia, Stephan Mathieu, Meta, Ok.Suitcase, Jörg Piringer, Paulo Raposo, Return, Sumugan Sivanesan, Ran Slavin, Telco Systems, Nuno Tudela, Marius Watz

Created to the music of: @c, Antmanuv, The Beautiful Schizophonic, Boca Raton, Miguel Carvalhais, Christine Fowler, Freiband, General Magic, Pawel Grabowski, Gintas K, Longina, Stephan Mathieu, Meta, Ok.Suitcase, Pal, Jörg Piringer, Pita, Pure, Random Industries, Paulo Raposo, James Eck Rippie, Ran Slavin, Steinbrüchel, Pedro Tudela, Durán Vázquez

Crónicaster:
Crónicast 002, Essays on Radio, Musa Lusa #37, part 2, 31'46", 26MB
Now available for download

This is the second of two parts of an exclusive mix of the release "Essays on Radio: Can I have 2 minutes of your time?" (Crónica 020~2005) broadcasted on Musa Lusa, a program hosted by Miguel Santos on Resonance 104.4FM on the 25th April 2005. This was the premiere broadcast of the compilation.

The tracklist for part 2 is:
Paulo Raposo, Verbatim
Akos Garai, To Bjeller
Christine Fowler, 2 minutes
Steinbrüchel, AM/FM
Miguel Carvalhais, 0303
o.blaat, I Wish I Had My Cofee While The Radio Was On
Lawrence English, In Preparation
Ran Slavin, Golden Twilight Moments
Pure, Free Radio Azimuth
@c, int.13/35
Freiband, Gong Station & Chimes
Pawel Grabowski, Untitled 2:00
Pablo Reche, Expo Radio
Boca Raton, Along The Line
John Hudak, The Big Beat
Longina, Oidar
Nick Dan & Sumugan Sivanesan, Radio01
Heimir Björgúlfsson & Jonas Ohlsson, Thanks for Nothing

--
The Crónicaster will present regular digital releases of Crónica related pieces: radio broadcasts, live performances, special remixes, and everything else we can get our hands into. Check back often because we will update the section regularly and *there will be no backups* -- as server space is limited, whenever any new file is uploaded, the previous will be deleted.

UPCOMING PERFORMANCES

21.05
7Hz video, new experimental video works from Atsuko Nojiri, Brigitta Bödenauer, Eric Schira, Chris Musgrave, Masayuli Akamatsu / Otomo Yoshihide, Shrill Crosby, Scott Arford, Normal Teale, Amalia Harithas, Lane Last, Pascual Sisto, Radim Labuda, Gian Feng You, David Berezin
1814 Illinois Street, San Francisco.us

27.05
Ran Slavin
Paulo Raposo
brg2005 festival, Braga.pt

28.05
Pedro Tudela
brg2005 festival, Braga.pt

28.05
Bart Maris, Paulo Galão, Carlos Zíngaro, Ulrich Mitzlaf, Miguel Leiria Pereira, Miguel Carvalhais
ZDB, Lisboa.pt

03.06
05.06
Boca Raton
Panakoustikon Festival, Amsterdam.nl

05.06
Vitor Joaquim + Ulrich Mitzlaff
Transform Zone, Vila Franca de Xira.pt

17.05
07.06
Ran Slavin, Pil & Galia, Yonatan Vinitsky, Asnat Austerlitz, Yoav Ben-David, Roni Ben-Zwi, Lior Danzig, Talla Israeli, Eli Zafran: Drawing the lines, Contemporary Israeli Artists in London
West London Synagogue, London.uk

16.06
Ran Slavin, solo screening of 'Insomniac City'
Smadar Cinema, Jerusalem.il

19.06
Crónica 020: The Night Air mix
Part One Sunday at 7.10pm, repeated Friday at 9.35pm
Part Two Sunday at 9.05pm, repeated Saturday at midnight
Online from the 20th.
ABC Radio National.au

BUY CRÓNICA FROM CRÓNICA

So you want to buy Crónica's releases but you can't find them around? Now you can order all the editions directly from the source, just hop to our website, make your choice and send us your email order that you can pay with PayPal. It's that simple, really!

+ EVENTS

As always, for more information on Crónica's releases and events, just point to http://www.cronicaelectronica.org
To be informed trough a glorious XML feed just link to feed://www.cronicaelectronica.org/cronica.xml and in it you will find all the news from releases, performances or whatever else may be worth of notice. Please save our bandwidth and set your reader for a daily (not hourly) refresh.