[Microsound-announce] 12k/LINE_NEW RELEASES: VEND + TAYLOR DEUPREE/KENNETH KIRSCHNER

richard chartier / LINE chartier at 3particles.com
Mon May 2 21:23:57 EDT 2005

NEW RELEASES:
available now: www.12k.com/line
order now: www.12k.com/paypalshop

artist: VEND
title: WIEL
cat.no: LINE_021
edition: 500

LINE is proud to present Wiel the first full length from the
collaborative project VEND, by Joe Gilmore and Alex Peverett. Wiel is a
selection of compositions focusing on a subtle, delicate use of
acoustic and synthetic sound in both abstract and linear form.

Shorter pieces of acoustic events flutter about the stereo field with
almost accidental design and are related to Vend’s use of playful
rhythmic compositions. The two longer compositions, Wiel vii/2 and vi/2
take their form from the sonification of visually complex spiral
patterns.

Joe Gilmore is a graphic designer and sound artist currently living in
the North of England. He is co-founder of rand()% an automated net
radio station streaming real-time generative music which was recently
exhibited at ZKM (Zentrum fur Kunst und Medienteknologie) in Karlsruhe,
Germany and also at The Media Centre, Huddersfield, UK. He has also
been actively involved in organising music events in the UK, recently
curating the Ultrasound Festival. His installations have been exhibited
in the US, Germany, Holland and the UK.

Alex Peverett studied Phonic art at the University of Lincolnshire and
Humberside. He has been active in producing electronic music,
installations and video works over the past decade. His works have been
presented at international events including Sonar (Spain), Lovebytes
and All Tomorrow’s Parties (England). Alex Peverett is currently
residing and working in Sendai, Japan.

www.qubik.com/vend

+

arist: TAYLOR DEUPREE + KENNETH KIRSCHNER
title: POST_PIANO 2
cat.no: 12K1032
edition: 1500

Taylor Deupree & Kenneth Kirschner’s post_piano 2 continues the two New
York composers’ collaborative investigation into the intersections of
digital minimalism and experimental piano composition. Working with his
childhood acoustic piano and the accidental sounds of an imperfect
recording environment, Kirschner first composed a simple, austere
“piano sketch” to serve as raw material for the project. This sketch
was then passed on to Deupree, who created three new compositions
entirely out of sounds derived from Kirschner’s piece. The two then
collaborated on editing the new recordings, which transform the
original piano sketch into a diverse array of sounds both familiar and
unexpected. Like their previous CD, post_piano 2 is released as an open
source project, and the composers invite other artists to continue the
interpretation and transformation of their work in an ongoing process
of open collaboration.

Kenneth Kirschner on post_piano 2:
“Taylor and I wrote post_piano in 2002, and since then I had added to
my studio an actual acoustic piano – in fact, the very piano on which I
first started studying at the age of 5. It’s an old piano, with an old
sound, and I knew I wanted to use it for post_piano 2. But my studio
doesn’t exactly offer a pristine environment for recording acoustic
instruments – not least because an elevated train runs by the window
every few minutes. My idea, therefore, was to emphasize the
environmental sounds of the space, and create a piano piece that was as
much a series of field recordings as an actual studio work. The result
was “November 11, 2003” – a spare, fragmentary piano sketch recorded
using techniques that ranged from the relatively high-tech to the very,
very low-tech. This formed the source material for the entire project.
And from that point on, the process was similar to our previous CD: the
piano sketch was handed off to Taylor, who chopped it up in the
computer and built new compositions from the resulting fragments. I
encouraged him to focus as much on the accidental sounds – the passing
subway, the street noises, the creaking of the old piano’s mechanisms –
as on the piano notes themselves. Taylor wrote three long pieces using
three distinct approaches, and each transforms the piano sketch into
something new while still evoking the character of the original. His
tracks have a modern, state-of-the-art sound – yet they never let you
forget that what you’re hearing was once a piano. We then collaborated
on the editing of these pieces, which make up the first three tracks of
the CD. The final track is “November 11, 2003” itself; the CD thus
concludes at the project’s beginning, with a coda that reveals the
origin of all the sounds that preceded it. And as with the first
post_piano, we’re presenting this new CD as an open source project:
it’s released under an open license, and we eagerly look forward to
hearing how our friends and colleagues take these old sounds and find
new uses for them.”

Taylor Deupree (b. 1971) is a sound artist, graphic designer, and
photographer residing in Brooklyn, New York. On January 1, 1997, he
founded 12k, a music label that focuses on digital minimalism and
contemporary forms. In 12k’s 8 years of existence it has released 32
CDs and become one of the most respected experimental electronic labels
in the world. Deupree also records for a number of other labels
including Spekk (Japan), Ritornell/Mille Plateaux (Germany),
Raster-Noton (Germany), Sub Rosa (Belgium), BineMusic (Germany), Fällt
(Ireland), and Audio.NL (Netherlands).

Experimental composer Kenneth Kirschner was born in 1970 and lives in
New York City. An advocate of open source music, Kirschner makes his
work freely available online through his website,
www.kennethkirschner.com. His music has also been released on CDs from
Sub Rosa (Belgium) and 12k (US), as well as online through term (US),
tu m’p3 (Italy), Tibprod (Norway), Addenda (US), Conv (Spain), Test
Tube (Portugal), Autoplate (Germany) and Thinner (Germany).

R I C H A R D C H A R T I E R

http://www.3particles.com
chartier at 3particles.com

<<<
4xCD . Edition [ LINE, US ]
CD . Set or Performance [ LINE, US ]
CD . Kapotte Muziek [ Korm Plastics, NL ]

CD . Retrieval 1-5 [ ERS, Netherlands ] May
2CD . RE'POST'POSTFABRICATED [ DSP, Italy ] May
LIVE . La Casa Encendida [ Madrid, Spain ] May 26
LIVE . Musée d’Art Contemporain/MUTEK [ Montreal ] June 1