[Microsound-announce] microBRASIL

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sun Aug 28 16:40:35 EDT 2005

Sara Kolster and myself will be playing three "resonanCITY" shows in Sao
Paulo, Campinas and Rio de Janiero during the month of October and
November. Dates and venues will be announced soon, but this mail is to
find some interesting contacts in Brasil for sound exchange.

So, could anyone in SP, Rio or other cities in the area who is
interested in electronic or acoustic improvisational, non-beat-oriented
music please get in touch with me offlist? We'd love to meet you while
we are down there!

best,
derek

resonanCITY:
Many sounds and images in our everyday lives slip past our notice simply
because they are too small, or because we lack the proper receivers to
pick them up. 'resonanCITY' is an ongoing project to gather these
microscopic sights and sounds from various cities, and to amplify and
transform them. The goal is to build a new city inside the old one, and
to inspire curiosity and exploration of one's own environment.

Both artists find inspiration in the history of experimental cinema and
electroacoustic music, as well as in contemporary video and microsound
practices, and a variety of live sources such as photographic film and
found objects are used to generate the visions and sounds. Visually,
Kolster’s work deconstructs the analog/digital divide by presenting
carefully prepared film positives in a software-manipulated environment.
Similarly, Holzer’s realtime digital sound treatments highlight and
enhance rather than obscure and distort the phonographic and
electroacoustic sources he collects.

Kolster and Holzer also reject the use of common, commercial production
methods and the default, commercial artworks that these methods often
produce, preferring instead to program their own software, build their
own hardware interfaces and actively participate in the free and open
source communities which surround these activities.

‘resonanCITY’ has been performed live in Holland, Brasil, the Baltic
States and at the Transmediale 05 in Berlin. ‘resonanCITY’ also took the
Second Prize at the 11th International WRO Media Art Biennale in
Wroclaw, Poland in May 2005.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 169: