[microsound] (no subject)

AP Vague apvague at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 18:17:14 EDT 2012

This is my first test using playback latency as a compositional device... I
was recently on a compilation of digital "locked grooves," inspired by
locked grooves on vinyl, but intended to be played in itunes or another
digital playback program on repeat. The unpredictable gaps in playback
ended up being sort of interesting and aggravating at the same time, and I
started experimenting with ways to use it. This test composition is
actually made up of 100 mp3 files, each a few hundred samples long. This
recording is what the piece sounds like played in itunes, which has a
slightly shorter latency than VLC (also VLC actually "skips" some of the
tracks, just leaving it silent because they're too short).

http://soundcloud.com/ap-vague/micro

I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with this. What other
playback programs address these things? Is anyone doing work with multiple
files like this?

~AP