[microsound] image sonification techniques

imagimuse imagimuse at orange.fr
Sat Jan 7 12:53:33 EST 2012

Your site is interesting.
I  also used Metasynth for some parts of my works, for example: "Acousmatic Tranmutations" http://charles.platel.pagesperso-orange.fr/music/transmut/index.htm
This kind of tool may provide interesting sounds and pitch shaping. But it needs some experience feedback to identify what pictures are appropriate for "sonification" or which filters to apply to make pictures appropriate, mainly thresholds, contrast, inversion... so that pictures begin to look like drawings (look at the Panorama link of the above page), as  the picture you present yourself.
Recursively I tried to use Audacity in spectrogram display as a new picture, but I have not yet found something of interest. But why not?

Charles