[microsound] Transducers as speakers

Manannan Mac Lir macdara at email.com
Sun Jan 1 17:22:48 EST 2012

Hi,

 I took part in a part in an installation based on David Tudor's rainforest which used transducers attached to various objects. In this case there were 8 objects all metal. We went to a scrap and picked out various pieces, all were hung from the ceiling with cables to let them ring freely. The loudest was an 8 footx3 foot steel kitchen counter top which responded the most musically without much encouragement and sounded like a big reverb. I did some trials with applying a transducer with a fixed pitch signal to various materials. I found most of them harsh. It gave me a nice sense of how different materials filter and disperse the sound in different ways. I like the work Mark Bain has done with doing things to buildings that he probably shouldn't. I cant remember the type of transducer but it was kinda creamy coloured smoke alarm lookin thing.

 Macdara