[microsound] RIP Steve Jobs

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Thu Oct 6 10:57:05 EDT 2011

Yes, that's a topic which I'm quite interested in, and that's why it came
first to my mind.
If you're interested too, you might want to check (if you didn't already)
the recent Sonic Warfare by Steve Goodman and War and Cinema by Virilio, for
some more complex and punctual insights about this topic, well beyond the
stereotype of the GPS and the army.

By the way, the way illustrated below might appear too simplistic.
"We are all sinners", "live and let live"...

In my humble and simple opinion there are certain conditions we can affect
and others which can only affect us.
Stating we are all useless because we are involved appears to point at a low
existential self-esteem.
We are involved, but we can avoid affection.
And creative minds praising SJ only because today he died and he "made a
good service to technology" seems to me the symptom of the aforementioned
affection which makes invisible the interest-based socio-cultural grip that
such corporation owns and deploys at ease.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM, John Hopkins <jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net>wrote:

> ei micros...
>
>  Also the creation of the Atomic Bomb greatly contributed to the world of
>> science and technology.
>>

> One should do a bit of research into the history of technology and it
> becomes abundantly clear the deep, profound, and fundamental relationship
> between (all) technological development and the military.  Technology is the
> way humans seek to optimize their survival and reproduction as a species
> into the future.
>
> Who is 'worse,' the passive users of technology or those (engineers,
> designers, technocrats, policy wonks, entrepeneurs, etc) who seek to create
> new configurations?  Without consumers of technology there would be no
> wide-scaled extractives industries globally which produce and fill your
> machines with coltan, rare-earth metals, hydrocarbons, and which are
> constantly spawning brutal human conflict at every point where there are
> resources to be had. (Think Niger Delta, think Congo, think Middle East,
> etc, etc).
>
> Are you using GPS today?  Oh, thank you, US Department of Defense for those
> satellites which guide me around on a daily basis. (it's possible to trace
> this reliance on military technologies throughout our lives, ad nauseum).
>  If you are living in the 'developed' world, you are totally implicated in
> this globe-spanning aristocracy of technology.  And if you aren't living
> there, then you are being shafted by China, Europe, the US, Brazil or some
> other country or organization of humanity in order for the technocrats to
> get what you have in order to strengthen their particular aristocracy of
> technology.
>
>  (I know this sound provocative, but I care about how bad a person was and
>> I'm not childishly saying he was THE EVIL.. Anyway, apologies.)
>>

> let (the consumer) who is without sin cast the first stone ...
>
> jh

Marco Donnarumma
Independent New Media and Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher
ACE, Sound Design MSc by Research (ongoing)
The University of Edinburgh, UK
Portfolio: http://marcodonnarumma.com
Research: http://res.marcodonnarumma.com | http://www.thesaddj.com |
http://www.flxer.net