[microsound] audio analysis tools in max msp

mattyo news at ostrowski.info
Thu May 5 13:25:10 EDT 2011

these are two separate problems you're thinking about: recognition and filtering.  There are a number of tools in the FTM package that do fairly detailed sound analysis -- the entire catArt package is basically about doing analyses on grains -- and with enough patience, it's not impossible to identify particular sounds out of a field, particularly if it has some nice attacks or periodicity that the background doesn't.

that said, the difference between getting a computer to identify certain features that match a model and note that it's there is very different from actually extracting such a sound from a field.  No one really understands how the cocktail party effect works, but it is  a _very_ sophisticated function of our brains,   An FFT is probably too blunt an instrument for the resynthesis of something like that, and my guess is that there are teams of geniuses funded by DARPA working on this for the surveillance industry -- i.e., nothing that's showing up in a max object anytime soon....

\M