[microsound] Exit Through the Gift Shop

Robin Parmar robin at robinparmar.com
Mon Mar 7 17:42:59 EST 2011

Sorry for the late reply, but it struck me that one of my pieces qualifies as this type of activity. As part of a network of performances and interventions focused on one particular street in Limerick, Ireland, I recorded sounds from a specific location and then played them back at the same place, one week later. This created an "audio time machine" that overlaid May Day on top of 8 May 2010. The location for this site-specific sound art installation was a jewellery shop, which set up interesting social interactions.

My Listen page contains a link to the sound excerpts, though I don't think they are that interesting on their own. Scroll down to Catherine Street Augmentation (2010):
http://remanence.robinparmar.com/listen.html

hans w. koch wrote:

> the old horns on the other hand, i learned to hear as a kind
> of spacial composition, made of hundreds of grains of honking.

Exactly so. Didn't Cage say similar after Morton Feldman complained about transistor radios on the beach?

-----
Robin Parmar
robinparmar.com