[microsound] GPS APP DEV FOR AUDIO WALK

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Sat Jul 9 11:21:14 EDT 2011

> actually working on a audio project, I am interesting to get more
> information according the use of the GPS to triggered a playlist soundtrack
> according the positioning of the audience through the city.
> GEO-AUDIO-MAPPING basically
> Any one got any ideas to develop it?

Hei Thierry -- Udo Noll, the developer/initiator of aporee::maps has been doing
exactly this with his collab audio mapping project for some years now --

http://aporee.org/maps/

If you go to this page and go to the 'play' menu at the lower left, and go to
'sound walks' he was using that interface for viewers to follow his movements on
the ground, while the aporee::maps engine was receiving feeds from his gps
phone, and then selecting and playing a mix of the three nearest stored sounds
from the area and playing them for people tuning in online...  So, the database
of maps sounds were being played back by a person walking on the ground.  It
depended on a relatively dense sampling of sounds in an area, as a walker
doesn't move that quickly...  Udo is a miracle-worker, artist, and programmer :-))

jh