[microsound] How to do a musique concrete workshop?

Robin Parmar robin at robinparmar.com
Mon Jul 4 12:43:22 EDT 2011

Could you not ask people to bring their own recording devices? Even an iPod, phone, cassette recorder, etc. would do. Committing to furnishing various people with a device is a big outlay of cash. But if you do, you could send people off in pairs to reduce the gear needed. And stage the outings while doing other things with those who remain behind.

I am of two minds as to whether you should play them any historical recordings. Instead you could just let them combine the tools at hand with their imaginations free of sonic pre-conditioning. That said, some orientation via listening exercises would likely work wonders. In other words, train them for sound collection more than for composition.

Your idea of restricting the sonic transformations is a good one, especially if you plan on being true to the original methods of musique concrete. You have to consider how you will give people access to editing facilities -- perhaps a laptop with Audacity? And then you need to share this resource among them. Depends on their computer competencies, etc.

I would give each pair ten minutes to do basic editing and selection of their sounds, but then have them work together in groups combining the material to create one final piece.

I hope these ideas help.

-----
Robin Parmar
robinparmar.com